Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The SCOTUS has ruled on the New York Rifle and Pistol lawsuit against NYC and the Sullivan Act's limits on CCW permits.

It is devastating to the left/gun grabbers.

It specifically pulls the rug from "Means-end" scrutiny to firearms involved cases. Most would say Heller required 'strict scrutiny' (the most difficult for the government to prove), while liberal appellate courts have tried to work through using 'intermittent scrutiny.'

The court doesn't even allow them to get there.

"Since Heller and McDonald, the Courts of Appeals have developed a “two-step” framework for analyzing Second Amendment challenges that combines history with means-end scrutiny. The Court rejects that two-part approach as having one step too many. Step one is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment’s text, as informed by history. But Heller and McDonald do not support a second step that applies means-end scrutiny in the Second Amendment context. Heller’s methodology centered on constitutional text and history. It did not invoke any means-end test such as strict or intermediate scrutiny, and it expressly rejected any interest-balancing inquiry akin to intermediate scrutiny."

NICE

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It's a great opinion and cuts the second scrutiny test (means-end) away from a broad number of cases involving 2A. That's been the political football of this court for 50 years. Thomas killed it. It's really a good day but will take years to unwind in the states that are liberal cesspools (like mine).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, it was bound to come about, the decision that the anti-gunners feared. Now the fun starts.

Good grief, Breyer's dissent is 50 pages long.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
The idiotic hysteria is amazing!
That headline is revealing in the sense that they proclaim this bad court dominated by Republicans is legislating from the bench an expansion of rights. That is how they view the role of the Court, legislation from the Judicial branch. Funny that dusty old scroll, The Constitution, defines the role of the court a wee bit differently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love how our “acting” governor is screaming bloody murder like no one should have the right to carry a gun in public. As though that is a foreign concept in the US. When in actuality this ruling will only affect like 6 states. At this point most states have much more lax laws regarding handgun purchase and carry and most of them are much safer than NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I love how our “acting” governor is screaming bloody murder like no one should have the right to carry a gun in public. As though that is a foreign concept in the US. When in actuality this ruling will only affect like 6 states. At this point most states have much more lax laws regarding handgun purchase and carry and most of them are much safer than NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Mayor of NY city said, "this is not the wild west". No, it is not. In the wild west the citizens would have a chance to shoot back. Not to mention the streets would be safer. They hung murderers in the town square.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts