Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Just a word of caution. Try some first and see if they work
CCI made those without sealing the compound. They were trying to cut the cost for us reloader's.
Which was a good idea, but they forgot what hoarders we are and how long we could have them.
I kept some long enough they would not go off.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
CCI made those without sealing the compound. They were trying to cut the cost for us reloader's.
Which was a good idea, but they forgot what hoarders we are and how long we could have them.
Good luck
Is it raining. Just joking
Great job finding those.
Steve

·
Registered
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck
Thanks for the warning. He stored them pretty well from the looks of it. He had 10000 more He wouldn't part with. Keeping for him and the grandkids.......

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
They are old and I would shoot every one of them. The sleeves look bright and clean if you can use that to judge how they where stored. The compound was put on to seal the primer and prevent powder migration into the primer cup. They are more consistent with big flake powder than a ball powder.
p.s. remember to save the sleeves for your display.

·
Premium Member
6,317 Posts
Good luck
109's had uncovered flash holes
209's had covered flash holes.

·
Registered
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are old and I would shoot every one of them. The sleeves look bright and clean if you can use that to judge how they where stored. The compound was put on to seal the primer and prevent powder migration into the primer cup. They are more consistent with big flake powder than a ball powder.
p.s. remember to save the sleeves for your display.
I use red dot and 700x so they should be fine.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Back when I had an FFL and sold reloading components out of my basement I sold a lot of the 109's. They were good primers. I never had a problem with those either but most people were shooting Red Dot.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I was not referring to the flash hole.
When I had trouble with them some years ago, I called CCI and the gentleman said the primers were not given the extra
coating on the primer compound. The why they were marked Trap and Skeet. CCI figured they could save the reloaders money by doing this because the primers would be used in a timely manner. Because of all the rounds Trap and Skeet shooters shoot. Also we saved some money, which was a good deal for us.

And then he said " we forgot what hoarders reloaders are and we are running into some issues" Which I thought was funny because he was surely talking about me! ;)

He did say that most of the primers would work if kept warm and dry but they will draw moisture over time.

Most of all mine went off like they were supposed to, but I had loaded about a case of shells that did not.
It's better to try a few and make sure they work, rather cut open a case. Like I did.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I bought several thousand 7 or 8 months ago, and have had trouble with some of them. Some sound light. Hope it works out for you.

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
My wife was watching an episode of "hoarders" and my jaw dropped, right in front of the camera was a MEC reloader and about 5 thousand win209 primers.

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
My wife was watching an episode of "hoarders" and my jaw dropped, right in front of the camera was a MEC reloader and about 5 thousand win209 primers.
Must have been a goose hunter then. If he was a trap shooter there would have been 50,000. Or more.

Reactions: iamtrapshooter

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Must have been a goose hunter then. If he was a trap shooter there would have been 50,000. Or more.
I only saw the one box of 5K right next to the MEC. He and his wife were hoarders, who knows what was behind all that crap obscuring the shelf the reloader was on. I didn't see any wads or powder, maybe that was buried on another shelf. The show never dealt with cleaning out the reloading material. Not that anyone would get rid of it, we all know that ammo and reloading supplies IS NOT considered hoarding. NEVER!!!

And I resemble that remark. I just took stock, only 15 thousand primers left after my major bulk buy 20 years ago (perhaps I bought 100K back then? I forget, maybe only 60K 0r 70K? it was a deal and I had lots of cash at the time) I remember thinking I would never, EVER, run out of primers when I took possession of them. Who knows, I may yet expire before using them all up.

edit: For some reason I think the Remington 209 primers were $30 per thousand back then? The Win209's were less. God, I cant remember, it might have been even a little less. Anyone remember what primers cost 20 years ago? I enter a cost of zero in my reloading calculator when I can't remember what I paid. LOL

Reactions: flashmax
1 - 20 of 27 Posts