Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Had a scorekeeper refuse our squad once. We had just finished our first post and he already had the scorecard screwed up. When the five of us approached him to try to straighten things out he got flustered, then combative and then just quit. We were provided with a new scorer.
Denny K.

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I have seen that happen a couple of times. I have also seen a squad member be extremely abusive to a score keeper. The man had a track record of this and ultimately the kid gave the BOD a written account of the mans behavior. The man has not been welcome back for years.

Being that in many cases the score keeper is a employee of the host club or a member of the host club and a volunteer it is a shoot management choice.

I too would like to hear the reason driving the request for a new score keeper.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Within each "box" the tick marks (or zeros) go across sequentially - or is it downwards ?
No matter, it is 5 by 5 and then they move along.

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
I've tried real hard to get fired but they are willing to accept my lack of ability to keep score.
What can I do ?
Henry

·
Registered
789 Posts
Was at a shoot and the score keeper had some personal issues going on so before my squad went out to shoot I already had a mew score keeper lined up. I'm also the type of guy that if I see a new score keeper struggling I'll go and help them and clear and questions they have. I'm not gonna sit and watch somebody struggle

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
Was at a shoot and the score keeper had some personal issues going on so before my squad went out to shoot I already had a mew score keeper lined up. I'm also the type of guy that if I see a new score keeper struggling I'll go and help them and clear and questions they have. I'm not gonna sit and watch somebody struggle
That is the correct way to go about it which is help the score keeper, not yell--postulate and intimidate. That is why time has to be spent training the help by the local clubs BOD as opposed to just throwing them out there.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
That is the correct way to go about it which is help the score keeper, not yell--postulate and intimidate. That is why time has to be spent training the help by the local clubs BOD as opposed to just throwing them out there.
Exactly. Buddy and George hit the nail on the head. If you go back to the kid and start bending his ear how do you think he'll do the rest of the round? A shooter that expects someone to be perfect every time needs to spend some time in the chair doing the job. Its monotonous, sometimes extremely hot or cold and thankless. Wben I was a director i told all the pullers if someone got too vocal with them not to argue but to ask for a director and when I got there I'd take care of tbe situation. If you upset that puller and make him nervous or pi$$Ed everyone suffers. When shooters complain about how hard it is to get help and then treat em poorly it shouldn't surprise us.

Good post Ross. Saw it after I posted

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts
i went to a small club and we were shooting for a 250 dollar prize. 50 skeet,50 trap, 50 sporting. The scorer that we had was not interested in being there. We were shooting sporting clays and he would pull the targets, not really watching what is going on and then just write down some kind of a score. I watched this and he scored me wrong so i said something. When one of the other shooters walked off the station the scored said his scores. The scorer was totally wrong and the guy missed 2 targets. I said something to the shooter and the scorer and the other shooter told me to mind my own business. I then talked to the owner of the club and related the story. Guess what the answer was. ???? "If you don't like it I'll gladly give you your money back". Wow what an answer. I did win one of the segments and got a nice prize but I was really upset at the way people were acting especially the owner of the club. Guess some people really don't care. Actually the same thing happened on the trap part of the shoot. Scored nevered called lost targets and the guy that tied e missed 2 targets right before me. The shooter did not even manup and say he missed them as the scored gave him the targets as dead. Fortunately the club changed hands and I hope that it will be for the better. motordoc

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I dono about rules but i do have my favorites. The girl Sunday missed my one I broke a peice out of the bottom. Yes it was just a trophy shoot for our local club but that one bird she counted as a loss kept me from my first 25. It got to me the next 25 I shot a 21. No need to chip my way to something to set on a shelf and collect dust I guess. I missed the trophy by 1 bird.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts