Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Probably. They typically have a pretty large gun selection.
Many people enjoy going to Scheels to just enjoy viewing the guns and discussing guns with other people.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The new Texas " Scheels " will be located somewhere around the Colony area and is slated for opening on April 4th. Any place that sells ammo and firearms is OK by me. Look forward to having another place to shop or just walk around.........

·
Registered
138 Posts
Purchased a pistol at Scheels in Reno/Sparks while visiting from out of state (impulse buy) prices were better than the Cabelas in Verdi, they had several sales associates and the personal attention they gave to everybody in the gun department was above other big box sporting goods chains even with the tire kickers. They had the transfer under wraps in minutes and soaked up the shipping to my local ffl.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You will like the store and it will be worth the ride. The Des Moines store has a robust gun section with a gun smith on site as well as a send out smith option. Our store does a large amount of used gun sales. They are buyers and sellers of used guns. They will have a dozen or more trap and sporting guns all the time. Occasionally the will have premium target guns. The inventory on used guns turns quickly so you have to buy it when you see it. Visit the store early and often. They carry a large selection of reloading components also. They also retail Dillon Presses (metallic only) along with most of the upgrades. The only real con is, I have only seen Eagle shot sold.
A few years back I traded in a Browning A5 for a Dillon 550. It worked out great for both of us.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Typical big-box sporting goods retailer. They have discarded the concept of a Gun Library featuring high grade firearms (new and used) as they are unwilling to hire competent employees who are proficient in sourcing and selling this type of inventory. The ammo and component selection is reasonable for a retailer, but you can't afford to shoot much based on their pricing model.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Scheels is the real deal. They devote as much space and effort to hunting and fishing as they do any sport and more than a lot of them.

I know the gun manager at ours and he just told me they’re eliminating the gun library because they need the space for modern firearms. He said there is just not a market for the model 70s, 42s, etc. That has been discussed on here frequently.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It appears that not all scheels are the same.

the one nearest me used to be really good as far as firearms and ammo.

now they are just a big clothes store with a few, mostly low end, firearms over in a corner, and the quality of the employees has declined over time.

I used to go in almost every time I would go by

I no longer bother with them.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I always look forward to stopping in those stores when traveling thru Iowa and South Dakota. The people who work there know their stuff much better than any Cabelas employee I have ever crossed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
mostly idiots working in the gun department and usually expensive. I go there (Iowa City) every other year to see if it has changed.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Scheels built a new store in Springfield, IL. It opened the summer of 2011. It's 200,000 square feet of retail space divided into a number of BIG sport specific departments. Among them are bicycles, golf, camping, fishing and a BIG gun, ammo and reloading area.

Scheels isn't cheap. Their prices on bigger ticket items (new guns for example) tend to be MSRP. However, they carry a lot of inventory and it's generally pretty decent quality.

I spend more time in the reloading section (metallic not shotgun) than anywhere else.

It's definitely worth a visit once in a while.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
Nice store with way too much of a selection (sensory overload). During the "powder shortage" a couple years back they were asking $200 for 8lbs of Green Dot.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Their used firearms are sometimes a good buy. Their hang tags have a date code on when they took them in. After 60-90 days they will take offers on them. Have picked up a few over the years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts