Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a Roadrunner today, or at least, I caught a glimpse of one before it vanished in the sage. I've lived 40 of my 57 years in SoCal and this is only the second time I've seen one in the wild. I live on the transition line between suburban Santa Clarita and the Angeles national Forrest. this little guy was in the Santa Susana Pass just off the Desoto off-ramp of the 118. amazing little birds. They nest off the ground in fairly large nests and lay clutches of up to 6 eggs. It's a wonder we don't see more of them given the lizards, snakes, quail etc that we have around here.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I was working at Camp Pendelton a few years ago and Road Runners were [plentiful. I would see a couple everyday. They especially liked our jobsites because the cover had been scraped off. The lizards were everywhere and so were the birds. Usually saw them in the mornings.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
We have quite a few here in N Texas, just about ran over one yesterday when I was on my Gator

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Actually a lot of the ones we see are Chaparrals

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
The ones around Cleveland look something like this. They nest near the drive-in restaurants on the weekends. Don't see too many this time of the year. Motordoc

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Around here the hawks are tough on quail, every year we have a covey of quail the the hen raises in an old cattle pen the is full of giant ragweed, it will start off with about a dozen, and as soon as they are old enough to leave the nest there is a damned redtail hawk that camps out on a post in my neighbors field, and the herd of Quail goes down fast

The Giant Ragweed was planned the quail love the seeds

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
"Might want to show them foreigners in places like NYC, Cleveland and such what one looks like."

I think they just elected one Mayor in New York!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Redlands San Tim Canyon we see and interact with Road Runners all the time. They are actually very sociable once they realize you are not a threat. I've named one "GREAT HUNTER" as he will go out of his way to show me his latest catch, even to the point of jumping up onto the hood of my truck or BBQ lid. When a dog is not with me, Great Hunter will show up at the side of the road and race our golf cart.

I've been told this is not uncommon and You Tube has a number of Road Runner interaction videos.

Don't feel slighted, my wife after nearly 30 years in the Canyon finally saw her first wild burro last month.

I hope your sightings increase and are a good omen for the New Year!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts