Saving a 1927 Parker SC SBT | Page 3 | Trap Shooters Forum

Saving a 1927 Parker SC SBT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Hamilton, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Jimmy Bowen

Jimmy Bowen Well-Known Member

Bob, 99% of us would have looked at this gun, looked at what was done to it and what it needed to make it a good gun again, and kept right on walking. Including myself.

Kudos to you for seeing the possibilities and having the wherewithal to take it on. You deserve the biggest/best "Nice job" that I could give you.

Please keep us posted with the journey you and the Parker are going on. Very interesting. Enjoy your Parker.

Jimmy Bowen

Bob Hamilton thanked this.
  2. Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton Well-Known Member

Drew - If you or someone else has a need for this pad I would donate if it would help a restoration of a vintage M12, etc. It will probably be a while before I could send it but I will not toss it. It just does not look good on this type of vintage SBT, the yellow is a little too much for me.

Thanks,
    Bob

3. Bob Hamilton

Thanks Jimmy - I know, the smart thing is too keep walking from one of these wrecks. I just kept thinking what this gun used to be and what was going to happen to it, maybe someone would part it out or it would sit collecting dust. It sure does not make sense financially.

I guess I look at it this way, they don’t make ‘em anymore, and they really did not make a lot of these old SBT guns to start with, relative to other shotguns. Each one of these old guns has some historical significance relating to our trap shooting history. I think that is what has drawn me to these old SBT guns, my interest has gone from all SxSs to mostly SBT guns now. Plus some of them are true works of art, with a style and grace no other type of shotgun has.

I will update as this Parker journey continues. Thanks again.

Bob

ganger thanked this.
  4. Bob Hamilton

I agree Drew, but I have never posted on the Parker forum, Trapshooters is the only forum I really participate in (and I have a hard time keeping up here sometimes). Good call with Brian, thank you.

Thanks,
    Bob

5. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

Bob,
    I have been a PGCA member since the 1980's. It is not expensive to join - $40 annually. That allows you to go onto their forum and get all kinds of questions answered. Good place to buy/sell some Parkers and other vintage doubles or SBT's. Extremely knowledgeable folks.
    As for the barrel flats markings, I believe that the two sets on the under left side indicate that the gun was returned to Remington for repair twice. CTT3 indicating April 1948 and AXX3 indicating March 1951. The "3" at the end meaning customer repair.
    The 3`3 marking should be the barrel weight: 3 pounds, 3 ounces. If you weigh them, they are likely right at 3# or a bit under since the butchering. Not sure what the other marks indicate but they are common to the Parkers. Overload (Parker)Proved is of course the proof testing.

Scott Hanes

6. Bob Hamilton

Scott - Thank you for all the information. That is very interesting on the repairs, too bad there are no records of what the repairs were for factory letter. Maybe the barrel damage happened around that time.

At least I could get a letter on this SC, I’ve been waiting for years for Cody to be able to issue Ithaca factory letters since Walt Snyder retired from doing that and shipped them the all the records.

Thanks again,
    Bob

7. EEB

EEB Well-Known Member

There’s a chance the barrel may have been shortened by Remington. It’s been known to happen

8. paul Harm

paul Harm Well-Known Member

I know using a piece of Coke doesn't sound as good as a piece of steel. I've used steel a number of times but gave it up for the softer material of a Coke can. Just cut it bit narrow with a good scissors and usually being a bit thicker than what is needed, it will squash thinner and out a bit for a good fit the first time. It's easy to do and Coke cans are everywhere. In my experience steel shims will move after a bit of use. It balls up on the end messing up the fit. It would have to be soldiered because I've never found any " glue " that would hold it in place. Now you have to figure in the thickness of the soldier. I've used my one Parker hammer gun quite a bit and maybe every 4 to 6 months the shim has to be replaced. Takes about 5 minutes. Just my way of doing it. If the gun is worth paying for it, Bachelder use to have a guy weld up the lug and machine it back for a good fit. There are many ways of putting a gun back on face - to each their own.

9. paul Harm

paul Harm Well-Known Member

If you go to the Parker web site you can type in the serial number and they'll tell you if a factory letter is available. I believe but not sure, if Remington did any work on the gun there'd by some kind of stamp on the barrels under the forearm.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  10. nitro27man

Remington would NOT have left "0" choke in it! Unless the customer requested it. That would be a strange one for a Trap gun.

Scott Hanes

Song Dog thanked this.
  11. Bob Hamilton

Hello Paul - Here is the factory letter on this SC (there is also an original Parker letter from 1929 and pocket catalog that came with this gun, as pictured in my original post, that are interesting if you want to take a look). There are some stamps on the barrel flats that Scott Hanes talks about in the above post. Looks like this gun was sent back to Remington twice.

I appreciate everyone taking a look at this and my other posts about these old guns. As usual, the amount of knowledge readily shared on this forum is incredible. I have learned a lot, things I thought I knew all about, but really didn't.

Thanks again,
    Bob
    IMG_0262.jpg

12. EEB

EEB Well-Known Member

The OP said with 2” of the barrel gone the choke was IC. No doubt Remington would have resisted but shooters will do some weird stuff with their guns. I’d like to see the end of the barrel.

13. nitro27man

For Trap, that might as well have been "0", and it would not be necessary to cut off the barrel to accomplish that anyway unless the muzzle was damaged. Hard to say why, but no Parker should have the barrels cut. Opened up, maybe, but not cut. Sacrilege. :) :) :)

Scott Haned

Song Dog thanked this.
  14. Bob Hamilton

All correct, the barrel had been cut from 32" to 30" which left an IC choke. I would have to believe that the barrel had been damaged at the muzzle end and whoever did the work (maybe Remington) had to take that much off to save the barrel. In that case there is really no other option, other than to find a spare barrel (difficult to find/expensive). At least the barrel started out at 32", as 30" is still usable.

Here are some pics of the muzzle end and the Briley thin walls. Believe me, I wish the gun had its original 32" barrel! I just noticed that the front glow sight says Ithaca.

Thanks,
    Bob
    IMG_0275.jpg IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0278.jpg IMG_0279.jpg

15. EEB

EEB Well-Known Member

I would say who ever cut that barrel and mended the rib was no shade tree gunsmith.

16. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

17. Bob Hamilton

18. navyeod

navyeod Member

WOW wish I had been there. david

19. elevenfan

elevenfan Member

Thank you for sharing this.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The PGCA historian is a friend of mine; I wrote an article about him and the association for Shotgun Sports Magazine several years ago. The old handwritten production records he has are mind-blowing! If you'd like to speak with him, send me a P.M. and I'll provide his contact information.

Ed

Search tags for this page

replaceing hing pin parker sxs