Saving a 1927 Parker SC SBT | Page 2 | Trap Shooters Forum

Saving a 1927 Parker SC SBT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Hamilton, Oct 13, 2019.

1. EEB

EEB Well-Known Member

Yes. Going down early Thursday. You? BTW, what makes you think the stock has been replaced? The checkering looks to be “enhanced” very nicely, but that looks like Parker/Remington wood. Are there any Remington repair codes stamped on the barrel flats?

2. vatrap

vatrap Well-Known Member

Yep, leaving very early Thursday. Should be there around lunchtime.

3. Gene58

Gene58 Well-Known Member

Thanks for showing us the treasure,shoot it enjoy it.

Bob Hamilton thanked this.
  4. Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton Well-Known Member

I know the screws are a little buggered also, I will get those cleaned-up. Unfortunately this Parker has suffered from many mistreatments. Whoever buggered the screws also tried to to put the gun back on-face by pounding the barrel lug with something sharp/pointy to bring more metal forward. It's amazing it survived in such otherwise nice condition, it could be a lot of the "bad" stuff happened more recently. The front bead, maybe damaged with the barrel was replaced with a glow sight, that will also be corrected. The injustice!

I agree on the caretaking part, I really hope my son develops an interest in vintage guns as he gets older.......

rookieshooter thanked this.
  5. Bob Hamilton

Thanks Paul - Brad had also worked on some of my L.C. Smiths back in the day, I visited him and his shop once in Grand Rapids. In fact I had sent him a gun to work on and he passed away a few weeks later.

Please do send a flyer, that sounds interesting, thank you.

Bob

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Is the 2 5/8" chamber an issue?

7. Bob Hamilton

I shoot RST 2 1/2 shells in most of my old guns, so no issues.

8. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

The 2 5/8" chamber, designed for the old roll crimped shells, is not an issue, and many currently manufactured shells are less than 2 3/4".

All 2 11/16" - Nobel Sport Low Recoil, Remington STS Premier, Remington Nitro, Federal Top Gun, Federal Top Gun

[​IMG]

SPORTALLURING, Bob Hamilton and vatrap thanked this.
  9. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Is the chamber currently 2 5/8"? May wish to consider low pressure loads?

10. vatrap

vatrap Well-Known Member

If you are fairly handy, there is a way to do it more permanently with steel shim stock. It’s also helpful to see if putting the barrel back on face will be enough to solve the lever problem. Take a look at the video starting at about 7 minute mark.

11. Bob Hamilton

I'm no Parker expert at all (this is my one and only). The stock checkering is nice, but it does not match anything I have seen online or in books, even if enhanced. Also the stock looks to be a different piece of wood from the forearm and does not have the same age to it. I'll have to go back and compare the stock to the factory letter. I hope I'm wrong!

I'll post some more pics of the wood and a pic of the barrels flats when I get a chance. I'm open to learning more about this Parker from others who know more than I do. More to follow.

Thanks,
    Bob

12. Song Dog

Song Dog Well-Known Member

Oh Boy Bob what a treasure, luster blue, remaining case color and XXX wood is just so wonderful for a 92 year old Parker. We both know that factory original letter might lead you on an another adventure to the owner of the SBT. High grade Parkers owners were anchors of their communities and local historical societies might be able to open up the another treasure of information. I'm puzzled seen some of the Parker records pages after they were Xerox in the basement of Remington @ Ilion they had information who ordered the Parker and where it was shipped?

nitro27man and Bob Hamilton thanked this.
  13. Drew Hause

14. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

Bob,
    Another fine source for a factory-like repair is Larry del Grego and Son in Ilion. They have a website I believe. They have been the go-to for all things Parker for most of the collectors I know. They specialize in them and the Remington 32's.

Scott Hanes

Del Grego Larry & Sons
    parkershotgunrepair.com
    1757 Barringer Rd, Ilion, NY 13357
    (315) 894-8754

Garry, ganger and Bob Hamilton thanked this.
  15. Bob Hamilton

Thanks Scott - I checked their website, they look to be the Parker experts. More to consider.

Bob

16. Song Dog

Song Dog Well-Known Member

Scott,

Last I heard they still had plenty of floor plate screws too.

Speaking of Parkers, Mr. P.B. called me if I was interested in a Parker he was peddling for a friend, told Mr. P.B. not any more, none with Parkers. He's still doing fine for being in low 80's.

17. Bob Hamilton

Per the above post, here is a pic of the barrel flats, not sure what all marks are. Also, some more pics of the wood. Based on the typical SC checkering I don't think the stock on the subject SC is factory. The LOP is now 13 inches to the end of the wood, with one of the ugliest pads I have ever seen. It is a MC stock and that's not in the factory letter. The grip cap is also not original. The stock work was very nicely done and I have a feeling del Grego did it as the checkering is very similar to the Parker SA below . IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0269.jpg IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0272.jpg IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0274.jpg

Here is the standard SC checkering Drew provided:

id1169-img30177.jpg.gif

And the del Grego restored gun...very similar checkering style to the subject SC:

Del-Grego-restored.JPG

Parker-SA-Grade-12ga-Single-Del-Greg.JPG

Maybe some Parker experts will chime in.

Thanks,
    Bob

18. Bob Hamilton

Also, thought I would provide the Parker price list from the 1929 pocket catalog that came with SC. How about an A1 Special SBT and SxS for under $1,300. I know, it's 1929 dollars, but does anyone have a time machine and bag of cash I could borrow for a few hours.....:11:

IMG_0261.jpg

19. Drew Hause

Bob: don't toss that pad. It's a Jenkins, made by the Jenkins brothers from Indiana from around 1930 to 1955. R.C. "Rock" Jenkins was President of the ATA in 37' & 38', and the brothers had the Jenkins Brothers Gun Club, in Orleans
    1979-P013:00076 - Jenkins, "Rock" C.

Someone might like to use it on their vintage M12 trap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  20. Drew Hause

Search tags for this page

replaceing hing pin parker sxs