Saving a 1927 Parker SC SBT | Trap Shooters Forum

Saving a 1927 Parker SC SBT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Hamilton, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton Well-Known Member

I found the following 1927 Parker SC SBT at a Cabela's. The barrel had been cut from 32 inches to 30 inches leaving it with an IC choke and the stock had also been replaced (but a pretty good job with a nice piece of wood) with a very ugly recoil pad added. The other main issue is that the gun is off-face, the barrel is very loose without the forearm on and the lever is way to the left.

Mmmmmm.... but the case colors are pretty nice, the forearm is in good shape, the ejector works, and other than the bobbing, the barrel is in good shape, no pitting, dings or dents with nice blue. After getting the price down a little and trading-in an unwanted gun, the final price made sense and I brought her home, with all her issues.

The only way to fix the choke issue was to have a Briley thin wall choke system installed. I would never do this to a vintage gun, but there was no other way to fix the choke issue with 2 inches of barrel gone. Briley did a fantastic job, you really can't see the choke tube when installed and now I have a gun with Lt. Full, Full and Extra Full chokes that I can actually use for trap. Also, being a single barrel, the price was not too bad.

I still have to tackle the off-face issue and the recoil pad, but I did put a few shells through her today to test things and she shot great.

Remarkably, the gun came with a 1929 Parker pocket catalog, pretty nice. As I opened the catalog a letter fell to the floor, my heart skipped a beat thinking it was some correspondence related to this SC. It turns out the letter from 1929 discussed some other Parkers that this fellow owned and came with the catalog, still pretty neat and a link to the original owner. I also ordered a letter from the Parker Collectors Assoc. and have included that here as well. Once all the work is done on this SC she will be a very nice gun that I should enjoy for many years to come, I think a deserving project in every respect...and a save.

IMG_0251.jpg IMG_0252.jpg IMG_0253.jpg IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0255.jpg IMG_0254.jpg IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0262.jpg .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    kgp912kgp, The Canuck, K-Hornet and 14 others thanked this.
  2. marchmadness

marchmadness Member

Fantastic. Thanks for the post.

Bob Hamilton thanked this.
  3. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

Glad you bought it and are going to resurrect it back to its former glory best you can.
    Good luck with the project, it is a great looking gun.

4. saskbooknut

saskbooknut Well-Known Member

A gun that would have people looking at most any shoot.

5. paul Harm

paul Harm Well-Known Member

Glad you're fixing it up. I know my Parker SBT is noticed everywhere I get it out to shoot. You can do a temporary fix on the off face with a piece of Coke can wrapped around the wrist pin. Cut it a bit narrow because it will spread out if it's too thick. It'll last quite awhile. Good luck.

6. EEB

EEB Well-Known Member

Nice work saving that Parker. It’s rare to find that sort of documentation with a gun. If you like research you could find out more about the owner. The Fall Southern SxS starts this Thursday in Georgetown, SC. There will be a vintage trap shoot. If you are anywhere near Georgetown, come on with your Parker

7. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 TS Supporters TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice find, hope the $ work out with the mods needed to make a shooter. I always wonder as vintage shotguns show up for sale with two inches missing just FTF were our Gramps doing with a nice gun out there!!
    Don't know about the "she' and "her"talk--That gun looks like it has a pair!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  8. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Well-Known Member

Nice work so far. Where do you go to get a SBT back on face? sounds like it is well on its way back to give long service smashing clays again.
    Thank you for posting another piece of fine unmaking history out of the Nutmeg State. Always like a good photo story about older CT guns.

9. entropy

entropy Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Beautiful Parker SBT! Enjoy busting clays with that one!

10. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

Bob Hamilton,
    Thanks for sharing the story! That SBT is in great condition except for the butchered barrel. Whoever cut the 2" off should have 2" cut off an appendage!

Scott Hanes

Garry, acorange, skeet_man and 4 others thanked this.
  11. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Wow! That is going to be a sweet shooting piece of history! Love the old vintage SBT guns! Good luck with it and enjoy!

Bob Hamilton and entropy thanked this.
  12. vatrap

vatrap Well-Known Member

Are you going down to the Side by Side shoot?
    There’s a fair sized contingent going down to the shoot from SE Virginia.

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Well-Known Member

Congrats Bob !

Some guys have all the luck ! LOL

14. Bob Hamilton

Thanks Paul - I forgot about that old trick! Will do that until I get it fixed. This is my first Parker and even though it has been through a lot I can still feel the original quality of the gun.

Bob

15. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Well-Known Member

Just love it. I used to belong to the Parker gun collectors association. We always had to watch for the cutting off of barrels, sigh. Too bad someone did not use hollow ground screwdrivers on the receiver.
    Remember, no one owns a Parker, were just caretakers untill the next person comes along. I already handed down my hammerless DH sxs.

16. Bob Hamilton

Thanks Bob - I had Vintage Firearms in Grand Rapids, MI put my Iver Johnson Supertrap back on face and they did a very good job. They have also done this type of work on one of my Ithaca SBT guns that I need to pick-up. Jay Shachter is the owner, if you reach out to him please mention my name, he (his gunsmiths) have worked on my SBT and SxS guns and have always done a great job. They have a nice website you can visit.

Bob

Bob Butler thanked this.
  17. Bob Hamilton

Thanks Scott - Ouch! I know it's a shame. I always wonder what happened to cause the damage, possibly dropping the barrel while cleaning or just dropping the gun, it is really too bad. I was 99% sure the barrel was cut when I purchased the gun and the Parker letter confirmed it. Oh well, you make the best of it. At least I was able to have the choke tube system put in so the gun is usable, but it's not ideal for a vintage gun.

Bob

nitro27man thanked this.
  18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Bob Hamilton:
    Very interesting thread and a beautiful gun.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

19. paul Harm

paul Harm Well-Known Member

Brad Bachelder from Grand Rapids, Mi. at one time did my SxS work - case colors, Damascus , rust bluing, etc, but he past away last year. I'm 73 so my buying guns that need redoing are in the past. Like most trap shooters I had to do something to make my Parker fit better so I stuck on a Add a Rib. I don't have to lower my head so much and it can always come back off without damaging the gun. I haven't tried it yet, but a gunsmith friend gave me a stick on bar code. It's maybe 2" long, 1/2" wide piece of plastic, sticky on one side [ stuck in my wallet ] , with a bar code on the top and maybe a 3/8" wide piece of metal inside. He claims it's perfect for using on a hinge pin - you don't have to trim it. One of these days maybe I'll get a chance to try it. Brad use to have a guy micro weld the hinge pin then machine it back down. His son is still running the business, but it sounds like you already have a smith. Let me know if you'd like a flyer to my SxS Shoot usually the 2nd Saturday in May. We have quite a few events, Trap, Doubles Trap, Skeet, Flurry, 5-Stand, Pigeon Ring [ clay birds ] , Long Bird, and SCs.

20. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Beautiful gun. With regard to adding a piece of coke can, consider using steel shim material. It comes in varying thicknesses, i.e. .001, .oo2 etc so you can choose the thickness that tightens it up to your liking. A steel shim lubricated both sides as you would lubricate the pin will last almost indefinitely.

Search tags for this page

replaceing hing pin parker sxs