Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went to my club for some casual shooting. I intended to shoot two rounds, but shot four.

I have a nice stockpile of ammo and a some powder, wads, shot, and primers. But who knows how long that will last? Though my original intention was to just shoot two rounds. After shooting two I thought I should be satisfied and leave. Then I thought, it's a beautiful evening, I'm here, and I should save ammo for what? Shooting next winter in cold and snow and ice, with a miserable drive to the club? Nah. I'll use that ammo on this delightful evening. And by winter there may be more ammo to buy.
Target, life's short. You were having a grand time shooting on a lovely evening. You made the right choice to shoot extra rounds. Happy trails and may God bless America.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went to my club for some casual shooting. I intended to shoot two rounds, but shot four.

I have a nice stockpile of ammo and a some powder, wads, shot, and primers. But who knows how long that will last? Though my original intention was to just shoot two rounds. After shooting two I thought I should be satisfied and leave. Then I thought, it's a beautiful evening, I'm here, and I should save ammo for what? Shooting next winter in cold and snow and ice, with a miserable drive to the club? Nah. I'll use that ammo on this delightful evening. And by winter there may be more ammo to buy.
If you had a beautiful car that you loved
would you keep it in the garage …..or drive
it?

·
5,679 Posts
It's striking a balance... most of us are not dying tonight, so there will be tomorrows for most of us... this is one of those feast or famine events... it's human nature to conserve so you have something for your tomorrows

·
Premium Member
112 Posts

When I found myself in the same situation, I had to remember that I ain't gonna live forever and today may be the best day of my life (it is), so I'm shooting it up--

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'm of the "shoot it" mind set. Life is short and unpredictable. Having watched too many cartoons growing up, I know an anvil could fall on me at any moment. Live it up!
One year ago yesterday I had 10 flats of 12 ga. trap loads. That day I was sent to the ER with severe "gas" pains but it ended up a heart attack and A-fib, along with a rotted Gaul bladder since I fought these "Gas" pains for over two years and didn't tell anyone.

After three surgeries in 5 days to get the infections out (after the first one I was sent 64 miles away by ALS to Advent Health hospital in Orlando), and remove the "mush" from the rotted Gaul bladder that had grown a hole in my intestines, and 18 days laying on my back in the Transplant Ward, although I technically didn't have a transplant, I was advised not to lift and stretch with my guns any more for fear of ripping open the thin wall of my guts.

Sold the flats to local club for $75.00 / flat so they could sell them for 10 bucks a box and make a little money for the club.

All this being said, Don't save them, you never know when you can't use them again.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have enough new shells and components to shoot the next two years .
Usually shoot 3-4000 a year. So I am good and don’t give it a second thought when shooting .
I am still trying to buy components if the price is reasonable .

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Shoot it, cause you never know what tomorrow holds, ask the old timers, who would love to go on another hunt that physically can’t anymore, as I’m getting older I notice my older friends can’t seem to hold up as well for a day long event, and just walking becomes an issue

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks. I think I'll shoot it. Next week is the last week for 5-stand until spring at this club.

There is still sporting available, but a botched surgery has left me less desirous of walking a sporting course. There are other slightly less convenient 5-stand opportunities, but winter shooting is less and less appealing. And I am not sure that course is open early enough to shoot in daylight. Even driving back in the dark during evening rush is less appealing.

·
5,679 Posts
I have enough components for two years. Being a month away from 81, I shoot as often as i can because i don't know when i will shoot at my last target.
Hopefully not a lifetime supply... but if you're in decent health, you should have quite a few years left before your ticket is punched.

Remember the longer you live pushes out your life expectancy further...

21 - 40 of 74 Posts