Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors daughter bought a 2 year Fusion used car from a lot a few months ago. Was told it had the balance of Manufacturers warranty. She had an issue with door locks and interior lights going haywire at night. Took it to a Ford
dealer and received a call 2 days later that the warranty was being restricted due to the fact that they found evidence that the car had been under water. Car fax showed previous owner was a Rental Co. but no insurance claim or salvage title info etc. The good news is her father and brother being rather large individuals had a heart to heart talk with the Lot owner and they refunded her money. I poked around the interne and found lots of similar horror stories most with not so good outcomes. Here are some general guidelines.

1. Manufacturers warranties do follow the car but have lots of fine print to
protect them from such cases of abuse, damage, modifications etc.

2. There are a lot of states that do not brand flood/wrecked cars as "salvage"
and there are thousands of SANDY cars being cycled through those states and showing up NOW on local lots with clean titles.

3 Carfax will not pick up on an insurance claim if there was none. Some rental
companies are self-insured and may repair or dump their salvage cars with no
paper trail.

Hope this info saves you some grief. Do a little more investigation, ask more questions, and have a new car dealer or your mechanic check a car out before
signing the contract. FYI same goes for boats rv's trailers etc.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Be careful when buying a used car. There are thousands of those Sandy water damaged cars in the system. They were sold at auction and the used car dealers bought them up. HMB

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Not all ( in fact very few) total loss vehicles are reported by the Insurance Companies. That leaves a large loop hole for salvage buyers and rebuilders. A car that has been under water is easily detected however, just look them over closely

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Oregon had to change its auto titling and sales laws back when large numbers of flood damaged cars from California started showing up here. There were new dealerships popping up all over with their entire inventory being cars from California. This was to get around Cali salvage title laws by dumping the cars in states without salvage titles. Oregon was forced to add salvage titles. In the meantime, a lot of people got burned by these cars. Running gear were dropping like flies, especially transmissions.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I actually knowingly bought a 1981 Mustang that was a flood car that had been taken apart, cleaned, dried out, and reoiled. Other than an aftermarket radio, it was all stock. The car really had no mechanical, body or interior problems, but it did have some electrical problems in the dashboard a couple years later. Back then, there was not much electronics in the car, and the connectors were large and crude. With today's cars, having lots of little computer connectors and electronics all over them, electrical gremlins on a flood car could be a big problem.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
In the early spring of 1978, I went through about 60 cars that were flooded in an underground garage.

The water was so high, they floated around like cord wood, and the wreckers had to drag them out.

A insurance co. had to make them right, or total them because all the drains were stopped up in the garage.

Most had simple problems, but many required major repairs.

I re-built about 23-25 auto transmissions from the mess.

What was interesting was the insurance required we get them running first, but that just mixed all the water up in the trans. and made things worse.

Plastic parts mixed with trans. fluid, mixed with water, then heated up, caused all them to swell up. Rubber seals would swell to about 1 1/2 their size when air hit them.

It was quite a spring that year.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
When I bought our 2006 GMC Envoy Denali I got a Car Fax report on it. It had been imported from California by my GM dealer. No problems but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a hurricane survivor...

Ron Burr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts