Trapshooters Forum banner

Sander for recoil pads

1828 6
I have a 4x36 sander that works pretty well for grinding recoil pads and am considering replacing it.
I have recently fit two Gracoil adjustable recoil pads. Grinding rubber pads is no problem but the aluminum parts take forever. What kind of sander would you recommend. I fit recoil pads for kids on our trap team and for a few people that ask.
Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
An upright disk is useful for any shaping. Harbor Freight makes a disk/table belt combo at a very reasonable price for occasional use.
2nd this, other than the table belt being a pia to replace i have done several pads and plates on the hf machine...works great, just buy good belts and disc's from somewhere else (the ones that come with it are pretty bad).

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,767 Posts
For adjustable pad hardware I use a band or scroll saw to cut to the line then finish on a disk sander. "Cuts" the time in half compared to grinding it off.
For pads it's pretty much the same unless I grind pitch into the pad, then it's a belt sander for that.
Keep a wire brush handy to clean out the disk/belt.

· Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I use a 4 inch wide belt sander for recoil pads and for aluminum Graco products. I use a 12 inch disc sander for sanding th e end of gunstocks. Like noted above, I always use a bandsaw to cut close to the line, then finish with the belt sander. Buy course grit and fine grit belts. Makes the sanding go much faster. Regards, Bob
Wood Automotive design Musical instrument accessory Gas Hardwood
Gas Technology Machine Table Automotive design

· Registered
3,169 Posts
If you have a 10" or 12" table saw, use the sanding disk plate and it will give you precision depth control on the disk. Makes it easier to grind the excess, but I still use a palm sander for finish work.

· Registered
233 Posts
1 inch x 30 inch belt sander is what I use for aluminum plates and recoil pads turns at a higher rpm which keeps the surface a little smoother
A band saw to rough in close to the final dimensions speeds the process but I always leave at least 1/16 to finish with the sander like a previous post I use a palm sander with 220 paper to remove the saw marks then polish with 800 wet sand paper and final buff with buffing compound by hand for a mirror finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.