Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI anyone that has shot the AIM Grand the last two years.

The last 2 years squads from Arkansas have won the overall junior team titles. The reason for this is that they take the five best shooters from the state(All Americans) and form their dream team. WE know this is legal because last year real school teams from Tennessee and Kentucky protested and it was denied. The AIM rules say nothing about the formation of these teams !!
Although legal is this ethical ??
Maybe AIM would take it seriously if each state only brought 5 shooters and cut their attendance by 2000 shooters that have no chance of winning the big prize.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it team management when, say a local little league team plays the State Champion all Stars ?

How fair can that be ???

Is not the first word in the AIM acronym Integrity ?????

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Like Tigger said..."Team Management". I don't know if that's prohibited by their rules, but it's absolutely NOT sandbagging in the traditional sense in which that term is applied in Trapshooting. I realize it's just a semantic point, but the discussion would be better held about the rules and, if you wish..ethics of the (questionable..??)
I wouldn't call this sandbagging. Team management, yes. Ethical, that's iffy.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I thought there was a rule that the kid has to come from THAT school unless a program was not available in that particular school than they could opt in to closest program.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
2,000 shooters?
By my count there were only a little over 1,100 that shot the 200 singles.

AIM / ATA take the kids seriously? I spewed my coffee all over my monitor when I read that statement.

If the ATA was going to take the kids/AIM seriously, they would not have moved the AIM Nationals to the 4 days prior to the start of Pre-lims. The only reason that happened is because the last year the AIM Nationals were held the Saturday/ Sunday between the Pre-lims and Grand week a lot of AIM kids stayed for Grand Week. The $100,000 walked out with a 14 year-old and over half the Handicap events were won by the kids.

They also wouldn't have walked away from the Potterfield's Midway Foundation offer, either.

JMHO

·
Registered
7 Posts
By the book, it's not cheating, BUT, these are the things that discourage people and drive them out. With SCTP and the ATA coming together I personally wonder if AIM will be dissolved in the near future.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
any game that is 'win at any cost,' using rules or loopholes, ruins the fun of the sport.
and it seems....it always is worse when money is involved. big money.
its why i wont have anything to do with little league. never did, never will. it wasnt about baseball, it was about crushing the oppositon and learning the tricks to accomplish it.
any sport that requires someone to be interested in it by lure of money....will always be a question in my mind.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
if i may ask one question, why didnt Tennessee and Kentucky pick their 5 best to challenge the ark boys? i mean if ar does it, why doesnt everyone else?
if coaches or management arent on top of things, cant blame the other teams that are....
?

·
Registered
33,578 Posts
Sandbagging means hiding or understating skill. Does that term really apply here?

Ethics would only be a question if a rule were not broken, but bent.

·
Registered
33,578 Posts
Look, not trying to be nit picky here, but are these kids trying to get by with something here or did they arrive where they are through hard work and dedication? We want our sport to grow. Do we want some kids who tried very hard to get where they are, read somewhere their methods were questionable, that they did not get where they are from their hard work?

Reactions: Gussers

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Looks like Arkansas was rewarded for using their brain. Playing by the rules
and winning the championship. Two years in a row. HMB

1 - 20 of 60 Posts