Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington Arms Co. has been scattered to the wind...as of today at 8:34am, an announcement was published regarding the sale of the assets of Remington Outdoor Co. per the Ch. 11 bankruptcy of 2020.

I don't know any more than what this document showed and what transpires from here on is up to the new owners. The company was not kept intact and, in fact was sold off to 7 different entities as follows"

Remington Ammunition - Vista Outdoor - primary bidder; Sig Sauer, backup bidder

Remington Firearms - The Roundhill Group, LLC - primary bidder; Huntsman Holdings, LLC, backup bidder

Marlin - Sturm, Ruger Inc. - primary bidder; Long Range Acquisitions, LLC, backup bidder

Barnes Bullets - Sierra Bullet Co. - primary bidder; Barnes Acquisitions, LLC, backup bidder

DPMS, H&R, Storm Lake, AAC, Parker - JJE Capital Holdings, LLC - primary bidder

Bushmaster - Franklin Armory Holdings, Inc. - primary bidder

TAPCO - Sportsman's Warehouse - primary bidder

No further details at this time. I can't answer any questions..

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I'm not really seeing anything to worry about at the moment.

-Vista purchasing the ammo is likely a good thing. My thinking is they'd be a better for long term stability than Sig. I'll bet this worries Winchester. Ought to make Remington rebates a hell of a lot easier going forward.
-Nobody seems to know who Roundhill is, so that's a wash at this point.
-Ruger buying Marlin is a good thing.
-Sierra buying Barnes is a good thing.
-DPMS, H&R, Storm Lake, AAC, Parker going to JJE is probably more or less a naming rights purchase, since those companies are presently more or less shuttered right now.
-Ditto Bushmaster to Franklin.
-TAPCO to Sportsmans is a good thing since that company was shuttered.

By and large it seems like at a minimum most of it is going to companies who have an understanding of the product and customer, not just a venture capital/private equity that is only looking at it from a ROI prospective. I'd rather see it broken up and go to companies that might care and have a clue what they're doing than another non-industry corporation that would drive it further into the ground again.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
It may leave Winchester making the only brass based shells.
My guess would be exactly the opposite. If Remington's go steel head, leaving Winchester the last left, Winchester would probably make the jump too. I don't see them being able to advertise the brass head as enough of a feature to offset the additional cost of mfg. The new Winchester AA Diamond Grade, their uber premium SC shell, has a plated steel head already.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Could be much worse. I dont know a thing about Round Hill Group or JJE but the rest of the buyers appear to atleast be pro-gun entities.

I never knew Barnes Bullets were part of Remington. That will be interesting to see how Sierra takes over. Barnes is probably the most popular copper (lead free) bullet on the market with the exception of Berger.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I have been using Remington Nitro 27's from Walmart. They are a great shell.

Over the last 3 weeks none of the Walmarts have them.

I hope this isn't a sign to come.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I for one do not like this. I wish Remington Firearms and Ammo could of stayed together.
Sad Day and I hope the Employees have been taken care of.
I'm with you on that. It is truly sad IMO. I also hope the people who have served Remington well do not get left out in the cold . I am getting much older, and each day I long more for how things used to be. YES the world IS changing but NOT for the better IMO .

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
My guess would be exactly the opposite. If Remington's go steel head, leaving Winchester the last left, Winchester would probably make the jump too. I don't see them being able to advertise the brass head as enough of a feature to offset the additional cost of mfg. The new Winchester AA Diamond Grade, their uber premium SC shell, has a plated steel head already.
I agree with your assessment. I fear the brass head days are numbered. I wouldn't mind us being proven wrong, but I doubt that will happen. Steel heads are likely the future.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Wasn’t Remington to be sold to some Native American tribe ? They were afraid of getting in the hands of anti-gunners making them produce the first “smart gun” making the remainder of the industry have to follow. This was the fear, this tribe being given the funds by people who want the smart guns. Supposedly if one manufacturer started this all others would only be allowed to produce smart guns. Let’s hope this is not Vista Outdoor. I get a feeling it may be because no one really knows who they are? I just looked this up. Hard to say.

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
Could have been worse, one or more Remington family members bought by China. I am of corse assuming none of the buyers are.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wasn’t Remington to be sold to some Native American tribe ? They were afraid of getting in the hands of anti-gunners making them produce the first “smart gun” making the remainder of the industry have to follow. This was the fear, this tribe being given the funds by people who want the smart guns. Supposedly if one manufacturer started this all others would only be allowed to produce smart guns. Let’s hope this is not Vista Outdoor. I get a feeling it may be because no one really knows who they are? I just looked this up. Hard to say.
It was the Navajo Nation and that fell apart in July. They had attempted to purchase Remington back in 2018 and that failed also.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It looks like The Roundhill Group, LLC is a property investment firm. I hope they have decided to get into the gun business and don't just want the ground in NY and TN.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
I'm not really seeing anything to worry about at the moment.

-Vista purchasing the ammo is likely a good thing. My thinking is they'd be a better for long term stability than Sig. I'll bet this worries Winchester. Ought to make Remington rebates a hell of a lot easier going forward.
-Nobody seems to know who Roundhill is, so that's a wash at this point.
-Ruger buying Marlin is a good thing.
-Sierra buying Barnes is a good thing.
-DPMS, H&R, Storm Lake, AAC, Parker going to JJE is probably more or less a naming rights purchase, since those companies are presently more or less shuttered right now.
-Ditto Bushmaster to Franklin.
-TAPCO to Sportsmans is a good thing since that company was shuttered.

By and large it seems like at a minimum most of it is going to companies who have an understanding of the product and customer, not just a venture capital/private equity that is only looking at it from a ROI prospective. I'd rather see it broken up and go to companies that might care and have a clue what they're doing than another non-industry corporation that would drive it further into the ground again.
If you don't shoot Remington STS and Nitros then I'll give you that you should have no worries.

For those that do shoot STS and Nitros, if steel heads and funky shot are of concern, you better get to buying all you can afford quickly.

I imagine your correct on the brass head.

It seems everytime one company makes a stupid market decision thereby giving a good market share to the other companies, they can't help but to fall all over themselves to give it back via their own goofyness!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts