Sage Hen/Sage Grouse hunting | Trap Shooters Forum

Sage Hen/Sage Grouse hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by tabura79, Jul 8, 2020.

1. tabura79

tabura79 Active Member

I have never hunted Sage Grouse but seen them flush during hunting season in the past. Nor have I ever tried/tasted them as I'm curious to know if they are good eating? I like Chukar its probably one of my favorite game birds, really tasty along with Quail. Would like to hear your thoughts and perhaps some recipes you might share. Shoot well.
    tabura79

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. Dulcmrman

Dulcmrman Active Member

I hunted them in Colorado in the late 60s and early 70s. I thought they were good eating. All dark meat and tasty when cared for and cooked properly. When I read your post I thought initially that they were still protected under the Endangered Species Act, but some research indicates that they were removed from the list in 2015. YMMV.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

tabura79 thanked this.
  3. yukon_870

yukon_870 Active Member

I have hunted them in Montana and as Dulcmrman said they are all dark meat and and are good eating when properly cooked and cared for. A nice Pinot red wine goes well with them along with wild rice.

tabura79 thanked this.
  4. Jaburg1

Jaburg1 Ya can't miss with a shotgun TS Supporters

I’ve seen them while pheasant hunting around Grassrange, MT. on a relatives ranch, but have never hunted them, although I’ve wanted to. It’s been along time since I’ve been back there.

tabura79 thanked this.
  5. tabura79

tabura79 Active Member

Hello Dennis,
    I did not know they were protected at one time, was it because they were over hunted and or some kind of sickness? Thanks for information. Shoot well.
    tabura79

6. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

To me, there's no amount of care and no method of cooking that can make that meat palatable. The only way I'd ever shoot another one is if I knew someone I could give it to.

No comparison whatsoever to chukar (the finest-eating gamebird that exists), quail, pheasant, Huns, etc. They're somewhat comparable to sharptail grouse, which I also have no desire to ever eat again.

superxjeff, brdslayr, Don-mx3 and 3 others thanked this.
  7. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

That sounds like the Greater Prairie Chicken we have here Oklahoma. Even in a crockpot for 12 hours they would make you wonder why they ever put a season on them.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

timberfaller thanked this.
  8. ditchparrot

Yeah, I've heard those are terrible too but I have no firsthand experience with them. Life's to short to eat hideous-tasting gamebirds – just let the dogs find 'em, kick 'em up, fire a blank gun and let 'em fly.

9. Dulcmrman

Dulcmrman Active Member

From what little I read it seemed that habitat destruction was the primary reason for their decline. I didn't read far enough to determine how that was mitigated.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

10. tabura79

tabura79 Active Member

Hello Dennis,
    We have some property just north of Reno Nevada and I have seen them in the morning and afternoons. They head to a little natural spring surrounded by Spruce and Sage brush toward the back of our land. They seem to really like the high desert.
    tabura79

11. sandcountyalmanac

sandcountyalmanac Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if there were a season on them. The last I read is that their population was in tough shape due to habitat loss.

tabura79 thanked this.
  12. Dulcmrman

Dulcmrman Active Member

Well, I'm no expert, but I did find this on the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service website.

Greater Sage-Grouse | Documents

It states that the greater sage grouse is in no danger of extinction. However, it does not address whether or not an open season on them is in the offing. I THINK that this may be up to individual states, but I'm not sure. I also saw another internet quote that stated the sage grouse population is about 10% of its previous number, but I saw no details regarding time frame, population numbers, etc. As always, your own due diligence is needed to vet whatever you find.

My own personal experience in hunting these birds is decades ago when I was a young enlisted man in the Air Force stationed in the Denver area. I have nothing but fine memories of north central Colorado (known as North Park), an area of low rolling sage hills and wide open horizons. Six of us would drive up to that area and walk the hills trying to stumble upon a flock of grouse, after which we would track them down. We often scared up flocks of a dozen or more and would then follow them to find the singles. I don't think we ever maxed out on our tags, but it really didn't matter. The crisp, clean air, brilliant blue skies, endless sage hills, and the camaraderie in our party were reward enough.

If you get the chance to hunt these fine birds, I'd urge you to do so.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

tabura79 thanked this.
  13. tabura79

tabura79 Active Member

Dennis,
    Well said, thanks for sharing your past experience hunting these sage hens long ago. I will do some research on these birds and see what guidelines/regulations are required by the Nevada fish and game dept. before bird season starts, hopefully by then it will be a lot safer to travel. Shoot well.
    tabura79

14. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Protected here, to many raptors and crows, ravens and magpies eating the eggs and young ones. Funny thing is, ALL wildfire reports state in their daily briefings, "sage hen/grouse habit" when recording fire damage. LOL never seen any in timber, but wheat fields and sage brush, NOW that is a different story!!

Oh ya, ALL raptors a now "protected" and the stupid biologist can't figure out why the Sharp tail and Sage hens are disappearing EVEN AFTER hunting has been banned for years now!! Stupid is as stupid does! But then this state does vote in the likes of Jay, Patty and Maria! And guess who appoints the head of out game department!!

15. sandcountyalmanac

First, you make a judgment, "stupid biologist", stating they can't figure out why sharp-tails and sage hens are disappearing, and make another judgment, "stupid is...as...." First, what are your credentials to make such a judgment relative to another person's cognitive ability? Second, what are your credentials as a wildlife expert?

16. timberfaller

First, I must have struck a nerve, oh well wouldn't be the first time! Second I live where I live and seen what I've seen over my 65 years here! I've dealt with some of these clowns in various "public meetings" and seen first hand, their "stupidity" one even bragged about having 5 degrees!! Dumber then a box of rocks that one was, worked for Federal agency who constantly changes its name and called locals "egregious". Watched our local game department waste money on so called "habitat land purchases" only to see the winter ranges ignored and the rest of the land turned into scab land!

I don't need any "credentials" I've seen those with "credentials" destroy what they claim to be experts in!!

Ya gotta love it when a biologist does everything in their power to save the "cancer" of the forest. I'll let you look that one up! Then there are those who believe activity's two miles away from water will create sediment problems.

If you think I am impressed with some one who claims to be an "expert" or has "credentials", actions speak louder then words!! You may have some who know their stuff, but around here, I've only come across one so far! But then there are a lot of people who believe climate change is why we are having catastrophic wildfires over the last couple of decades. Kinda explains a lot about the present sheep mentality over the virus!! "Experts" are the shepherds!! LOL

trappermike thanked this.
  17. sandcountyalmanac

"A box of rocks" says it all. Pathetically ignorant ranting.

18. ditchparrot

sandcountyalmanac thanked this.
  19. timberfaller

I can do that too!

Pathetically ignorant hurt feelings.

Have a good day!

trappermike thanked this.
  20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I hunted for sage grouse one time in Alberta just North of the Montana border. This was about 45 years ago and the Season limit was one bird. My hunting buddy and I each got one bird and he made the wise decision to take his to the taxidermist while I cleaned my bird and put it in the freezer until Christmas. It was so tough it was like eating a football. They closed the Alberta season for good some time after that.