Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S & W model 28-2 with a 4"barrel, .357cal hwy patrol.I have 2 grips, large square butt and small square butt, finish is blue. The blue book value seems much lower than similar s&w's and I was wondering why? Seems like a real soild pistol.

· Registered
7,243 Posts
Most of the fit and finish was utilitarian so they get less money. That does not mean they are not a great, heavy duty pistol. Short of letting it rust solid, I do not think you can hurt one. I never measured my Father in laws, but I am pretty sure they are "L" frames, making them stronger that the more common "K" frame.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Most likely, your Model 28 came with the smaller stocks. Those are "Magnas", and they were standard issue on the Model 28. It also sounds like you have a set of larger target stocks for it, and they were generally post-OEM additions.

As RickN pointed out, the Model 28 has a less-polished finish, but has the same action as its more expensive Model 27 brother.

Most came in the duller blue finish. There were a few made in nickel, with 5" barrels for the Florida Highway Patrol, so if you find one in nickel, it's probably been refinished.

However, that N frame design has been around for over 100 years. Over-engineering at its finest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.