Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think there are around 20 different models or configurations of these. What is a must have on these or worth the extra $$$$.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
It all depends on you. What are you looking to do with the gun? Do you want optics, open sights or both? If you get a flat top upper you can basically do anything you want later on.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Forward assist is an useless item unless you are heading into war with it. If your bolt doesn't close all the way while target shooting, the last thing you need to do is try and jam it closed with the forward assist. Open the bolt and try and find the issue. There is no hurry when nobody is shooting back. All My AR's have it, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I found a rifle I liked that didn't have it.

Shannon above has the answer to your question as to which model. First you need to decide what you want to do with it. All mine are slightly different. They have different purposes in mind.

The only things I would recommend, is get it in 5.56 and not .223. A 5.56 gun can shoot either .223 or 5.56. A .223 gun can only shoot .223. Also get one with an aluminum lower receiver. There are models out there with polymer lower receivers. Polymer is for making stocks. 7075T6 aluminum is what you want.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If the only thing you are ever going to shoot is targets no assist is fine. as a corner gun it's nice to have and I hope you never need to use it for anything other than targets.
Trust me, I have my share of SHTF battle guns. Should I(God forbid) ever have to shoot my way out of hell, my battle rifles have all the bells and whistles a military would want aside from the fun switch. :)
If the OP is wanting this AR for just this sort of thing, then perhaps he should buy a mil spec rifle which would have a mil spec forward assist.
I just wanted to state my opinion that for most, the forward assist is never ever used.

But this is just my opinion which is worth very little to nothing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am just going to get a sporter. Usually I end up spending more and I don't go cheap so I would end up with a Daniel Defense or a Bravo company or something but I cannot justify it. This seems like a reasonable priced gun in a 5.56

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have a S and w mp tactical ar 15. It has a forward assist for what its worth. It's an accurate rifle but it had the absolute WORST trigger pull of any gun I EVER owned... At least an 11 lb. pull with horrible creep...I shot it ONE time and ordered an ar gold drop in trigger. Now its a pleasure to shoot with a crisp creep free 3 lb. pull

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to a YouTube video after 2012 a change the barrels to a 1 and 9 twists instead of 1 8

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts