Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up a nice S&W 65-4 4" barrel. I'd rate the gun a 90-95%. It has target grips (which I was told were not original). The asking price is $ 400.00. The gun was made in 1990 according to the shop. Is the price in line? Thanks in advance, FIB.

·
Registered
101 Posts
S&W Model 65-4 4

That is a good price for that gun IMHO. If you do a google search for revolver checkout you can find info on how to inspect a revolver for mechanical condition. I have a 64-3 (same as the 65 but .38 only) very nice shooting gun. Check for flame cutting on the top strap.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S&W Model 65-4 4

Thanks glenncal1 for the info! I did check for flame cutting and other than being dirty it appeared OK. I don't plan to shoot .357's through it although for home/personal defense I will keep it loaded with a quality .38 Special +P load.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
S&W Model 65-4 4

Pity it doesn't have the 3" barrel. That's a very underrated concealed carry handgun.

I have a couple of friends who holster carry the 4" Model 65 and it's big brother, the Model 58 in 41 Mag, when outdoors. They contend that the fixed sights are more rugged than those of the Model 19 or 66, or 57, and won't break off under hard use.

The link covers the Model 65 as well as the Model 13.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
S&W Model 65-4 4

There is a very good post on the high road web site on checking a S&W for end shake and other cylinder related issues esp w the 357 k frames.
Nice model with out the dredded internal lock.
They are not making them like that anymore.
Smith and Wesson forum is an excellent place for photos and info. Be careful. There are way too many cool smiths to buy!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
S&W Model 65-4 4

$400 is slightly high but still fair and a good way to convince yourself of that is to look at the current day production pistols that are for sale in your area that are in the $400 range. None of them are even close to the quality of that used S&W.

This gun will be a bit large/heavy for a CCW piece but those factors make the gun a great shooter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts