Does anyone have any experience with the S&W M&P "Shield" in the 40 cal. ? It seems to be a bit thinner than a Glock. I was wondering how it handled (recoil, accuracy, etc.) in the 40 cal. being a bit smaller gun.
I had one in 9mm. Having waited forever for a single stack Glock, I thought the Shield would be the panacea I had been waiting for. It was a huge disappointment, but I guess my experience was the exception rather than the rule.
1) The difference is width / size, as it turns out, is meaningless in practical application. I carry a gun everyday. The Shield was no easier to carry than my light weight J Frame or Glock 26.
2) The trigger was *horrible.* There was so much trigger upset at the break that it made the gun unpleasant and difficult to shoot. Keep in mind I have been carrying Glocks and DAO revolvers for 20+ years. I can put an entire cylinder into a man silhouette at a no BS 100 yards.
3) The POI and POA were no where near close to 7 yards. With 115 gr. target loads it shot waaaaay low and the groups looked like buckshot patterns. The 147s shot much closer to POA and the accuracy was pocket pistol acceptable. That kind of ammo preference in a 9mm is completely unacceptable in 2012.
4) The manual safety was difficult to manipulate for me.
5) The extended mag that comes with the gun makes the butt of the gun as large as a Glock 19, and the sleeve they place on it is not mechanically attached. It easily slides up and down. It will induce a magazine related malfunction at the worst possible time, guaranteed. It was poorly thought out.
6) The sights are garbage. The white dot inserts on mine fell out after 100 rounds.
I *really* wanted to like the Shield, but it had so much working against it that I dumped it. No regrets.
MikeinNPR...yep. I was certain it would be a "sure thing" when I picked it up thanks to all the rave on line reviews. I am definitely in the minority.
I did have several other shooters at the club try my gun before I dumped it. One of them is a big name pistol shooter. There was a consensus among all of them..."WTF?"
I may have gotten a goofy one, who knows. All I know is that with my G26 I can dump 11 rounds into tea cup at 25 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger and it goes bang every time. I'm not going to worry about fractions of an inch in width. Besides, in my state I really don't often care how well I have it concealed. Guns in AZ are part of the fabric of society. I alternate between a Glock 26 and a 19 for CCW.