Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
S& W M-29-2

It was a 6 inch. A little triva: In the movie, the 29 was only used in non-shooting close ups. The gun in the movie that was shown firing, was the model 25 Long Colt. Nobody made blanks for the .44 magnum in 1971.

Wayne

·
Registered
142 Posts
S& W M-29-2

Actually, it was a 6 & 1/2" barrel on Clint's Model 29. Smith and Wesson changed the barrel length to 6 inches in 1979.

Clint had already made three "Dirty Harry" movies by 1976 (Dirty Harry - 1971, Magnum Force - 1973, and The Enforcer -1976).

I bought my 6 & 1/2" Model 29 in 1977 at Creekside Gun Shop in Holcomb, New York. It was manufactured in 1976.

It is still the best handgun I ever owned. Accurate and light trigger pull. I still own it and have shot thousands of rounds through it.

Best load through mine still is a 240 grain jacked hollow point round.

Dave Cichelli

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
S& W M-29-2

Well Dave you could be right. But John Milius, a .44 magnum collector, director, screen writer, for Warner Bros., and owner of the original gun, says it's a 6.

PS: Everything I have just read, says 6.5". I believe John is mistaken.

Wayne

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-x-tGz6dNdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
S& W M-29-2

John Milius should have checked with Clint Eastwood. Yhe model 29 came with 4" 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" barrels (in the S&W catalog). I had one 6 1/2" in the 70's. later I got a model 629 (stainless) and it was a 6".

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
S& W M-29-2

If you remember (magnum force) one of the motorcycle cops (at the firing range) asked Harry about handling the power of the 29 and harry said "I use a light special load, gives me better control."

·
Registered
613 Posts
S& W M-29-2

I have one like the one in the pictures that I have owned for over 30 years and I also have the wood factory presentation case for it too. Mine has been fired very little. Oh, and mine has the 8 3/8" barrell.

While mine is not for sale, I figure it would be worth closer to $1,000 with the case and all.

Allen

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
S& W M-29-2

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Bought mine in 78 at Wards in Anchorage and gave it to an engraver from Kodiak, a year and a half later this is what I got back. Still new in the box after 35 years.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
S& W M-29-2

I read once that Model 29s were so hard to come by that the S&W factory assembled one from parts for the movie.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
S& W M-29-2

claybrdr , That doesn't make sense. S&W assembles all their guns from parts. yes, they were hard to find AFTER the movie came out.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
S& W M-29-2

Up for a nice pistol,..I'm saving my pennies for when I come across a nice 57/657 with 4" barrel to carry with my Marlin of the same 41mag cal.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
S& W M-29-2

Well, Oz, Smith must have screwed up several times at the factory and cut an extra 1/2 in. off their 6 1/2 in. bbl. I held more than one 6in. mod. 29.in my hands. Hunted for years with a P&R 8 3/8 one. Wished I'd never sold it.

Steve

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
S& W M-29-2

The story was that the studio couldn't find any Model 29s available and contacted the factory. The factory cobbled up a non-shooting Model 29 just for the movie.

I realize that all guns are put together from parts, genius. Model 29s were hard to find well before the movie. In 1969, I finally gave up and bought a Model 57 in .41 magnum because the 29s were virtually unobtainable in Virginia.

·
Registered
593 Posts
S& W M-29-2

S&W did make a 29-2 in 6 inch . The boys over on S&W fourm beat me down that it was not a 6.5 will i got the ruler out and yes it was a 6 inch . I had the late Fred Schmidt do and single double action trigger job and it was as smooth or smoother than a colt python .Fred also installed ball bearing in the yoke for better cylinder lock up with out the excessive wobble from shooting full house rounds.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
S& W M-29-2

Went to a gun auction in Larned Ks in 1986 with my dad.A combanation estate & consignment sale.A Colt -S&W collector was unloading a rather large surpluss of handguns.I bought 6 Model 29 S&W`s new in the wooden presentation boxes out of the 3 dozen plus that was offered.The blue fabric in the boxes was all rotten but the guns was OK.Was able to get replacement fabric from S&W.I gave $185.00 for the first one sold down to $115.00 for one of the last.Sold two right away for $225.00 each.I still have two left.Not For Sale.My shooter had the rib broached by Simmons and a 4x power pistol scope mounted.Killed a pair of Havolina in Borger Tx with it...KS-OKIE

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
S& W M-29-2

Eastwood used a S&W Model 57 in .41 Mag for the movie Dirty Harry. They could not get a .44 Mag. The bore size is close enough it's not noticeable on film.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.