Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any recommendations for outfitters/guides in the northwest quadrant of South Dakota. We have a standing invitation to hunt pheasant in the north central part of the state after the first weekend of pheasant season. We thought we'd swing up to the northwest to go after Hungarian Partridge that first weekend before moving east. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Try Jim Rivers Guide Service . out of Millet S.D. . I have hunted with Willie many times and he is as good as they come . check out his web site for more info . if you talk to him tell him Kevin from Illinios sent you .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I just spoke to Willie. Sounds like to class guy and a good operation, however they don't have access to any ground with huns, which is what we're after.

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Last week I was sitting on a Delta Airlines flight to Salt Lake City and in adjacent seats were a very friendly couple who own and operate just what you are looking for. I read their brochure (a tattered one that they had no intentions of handing out, but was all then had on carry-on.

They are based in St Onge, SD right at the edge of the Black Hills and close to a couple of airports; Spearfish SD and Rapid City, SD.

They were heading to the Shot Show.

Western Gateway Outfitters, 605-639-1289
email: [email protected]

You can tell them you were referred to them by the couple on the Delta flight. They'll remember the trapshooter...me.

They have a few ranches/land in SD and WY and are a couple of genuine younger folks.

Russ and Wanda Roberts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for this latest lead. I just spoke to Russ and he remembered the pleasant visit y'all had on the flight. He doesn't hunt upland birds and didn't have any suggestions for other contacts. He sounded like a real nice guy; very open and honest.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hunt a lot of western sd and south western nd for all upland and there is not enough huns to shoot your limit. I hunted 14+ days in nd and more in sd and seen 1 covey of maybe 10 birds cought not bring myself to shoot any of them..

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree with Fordtough. I hunted 32 days in western S.D. and shot 6 Huns. They are hard to find and very wild. I can't imagine coming a long way just to hunt Huns.
Bruce Bowen
Sturgis S D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts