Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions about Rx inserts vs. just regular prescription lenses (not going the contact lens route).
Yes, I realize the insert route is cheaper in the long run...but what about clarity and performance? Is seeing through two lenses ever a problem? Any other down sides to Rx inserts?

FYI...my prescription is pretty heavy.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I've used the Ranger XLW with the insert and Decot prescription lens'. The insert was pretty heavy in my opinion. Cataract surgery cured all of that.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I made the following Post on the other thread. For me having the optical centers in the right place was very important and I definitely could not shoot well with my every day RX glasses.

"I personally do not believe the Pilla with RX inserts would have worked for me because I would be looking through the corner of the inserts in order to mount my gun to shoot. I have used Decot frames and RX lenses for 50 years and I always demand that the optical centers be offset to the left so that I can shoot a shotgun."

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have had my XLW's with insert for about 6 years now, and they are fine. I tried contacts and with bifocal and astigmatisms in both eyes I don't want to go down that road. Downside, the lens are close to me and when its really hot and humid the sweat drips on the insert lens and I have to stop and wipe them. Over the years I have collected almost all the colors that I don't have to buy anymore!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'm a physicist (and a professional engineer, which is irrelevant in this discussion). I've had enough challenges taking on the world's best in my competitive shooting career without having to worry about my ability to see the targets. I'm short sighted and have mild astigmatism. Since the age of 17 I've worn prescription glasses. I'm 73 now. Years ago I decided to wear prescription shooting glasses. When RX 'inserts' became available I made the conscious decision to avoid them. The reason? When any two glass or plastic boundaries come into contact, i.e. as in the case of 'inserts', those boundaries introduce reflections. i.e. light loss, and I was not prepared to give my opponents any advantage due to my perception of the targets being attenuated.

Light - Thin-film interference

Consequently, I have always steered clear of using 'inserts'.

Granted I was extreme, theoretical and compulsive in my decision making process..........it's all to do with with how you value that one extra target that makes the difference between your name in the history books and coming second.

No Second Place Winner by William Henry "Bill" Jordan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Contrary to the Old Diabetic I have been shooting Castellani glasses with a bi-focal insert for about a year with great results. The Castellani system has a slight space between the Rx and outer lens. I have found the sight picture is clear and consistent across all lenses. I like the system so much I had a second Rx insert made to shoot IDPA. My averages have increased in both disciplines.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Looking for opinions about Rx inserts vs. just regular prescription lenses (not going the contact lens route).
Yes, I realize the insert route is cheaper in the long run...but what about clarity and performance? Is seeing through two lenses ever a problem? Any other down sides to Rx inserts?

FYI...my prescription is pretty heavy.

Thanks
Well the outer lens in an insert frame is plano (No Rx) so that's not a downside. the main downside to most inserts is they and the frames they fit are often too low, the top eye wire is too low. The Pilla X6 is the best of the type, the insert sits a bit higher, and is rimless on top.

Knowing your (approximate) Rx would help. I am a -600 -200 roughly, and I got these:
Shooting glasses.jpg

I set the OC myself, it is not far from the top of the lens, and I set the nosepads in so they sit high. I can see great when I have the gun mounted, but because the high OC results in 8 Diopters of unwanted prism when I look forward in them; makes me walk a little funny if I don't hold my head down. I take them off after coming off the line and switch back to my progressive lenses. (Yes, these are Single Vision only.) The lenses are Nikon Transitions 8 Amethyst. They look more gray when dark, but you can see the purple tinge in the pic. More like a CMT. The purple makes orange, green and pink birds really stand out against green, blue, and tan.

When any two glass or plastic boundaries come into contact, i.e. as in the case of 'inserts', those boundaries introduce reflections. i.e. light loss, and I was not prepared to give my opponents any advantage due to my perception of the targets being attenuated.
You do know Anti-reflective coatings are available, right? Also if you are an engineer, you probably did your research and found the lost light transmission isn't that much; You lose more to glare. And A/R solves that problem well, also.

Different kind of shooting, with less terminal results for Trap than gunfighting; I train for that kind, too. Great book, though!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone have any experience with the Ranger Rx Sporter? That looks like an interesting option for a heavy Rx like mine. The colored lens is a clip-on.

·
Premium Member
19,416 Posts
I've had the Decot Hy-Wides for 17 years now and they are still working well for me. Great people to work with!!!!!

Reactions: Trail

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
anyone have any experience with the Ranger Rx Sporter? That looks like an interesting option for a heavy Rx like mine. The colored lens is a clip-on.
I was going to get those until the Nikon Amethyst Transitions lens came out. I planned on getting the medium purple and light yellow clip-ons. The Transitions lens made the need for different colors unneeded. My whole setup cost what the frame alone is for the Sporter, but then I got them at work, where I get a discount. The frame on mine is a Stetson XL31, I chose it because when I pinched in the nosepads, I could get the top of the lens up where it should be, and it has the old-school look of the Ray-Ban and B&L shooting glasses.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the RX ranger sporters clear RX lens and medium target orange and dark purple clip ons. I love them I'm getting a set of clip ons for night and heavy overcast days. I have a heavy RX. I got mine from L&M lens he tried to put my RX in to 2 other frames and said the sporters will work. He sent them to me to try i can see great with them no distortion looking through 2 lens. I don't even notice the clip ons.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Different kind of shooting, with less terminal results for Trap than gunfighting; I train for that kind, too. Great book, though!
My purpose in quoting Jordan's book "No Second Place Winner" was only to make the point that coming second is as unsatisfactory as coming last.........probably more so. Who remembers who came second? I say this as a person who's been runner-up in two British Opens and one Canadian Open. Second is the booby prize.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
For years I spent a fortune on Rx shooting glasses in various colors. I did that every time my prescription changed. When a lens because damaged I'd have another made, but it would never match. I have moved on to Smith Optics wrap-around glasses. Perfect clarity, absolutely no distortion and perfect coverage. For less than $200 you can send in your Rx and they will make you inserts that replace the nose bridge. Another great thing about these glasses is replacement lenses cost only $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Optics...id=1597068760&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1-catcorr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts