Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at new travel trailers and have been told to stay away from aluminum frames and go with steel.I like the lighter benefits of an aluminum frame but am wary as I have been advised they can bend as opposed to a steel frame that won't.Does anyone on here have a aluminum framed rv and have experienced these types of problems? I can buy a thirtey footer aluminum frame at about the same weight as a twenty-four foot steel frame.This will probably be the last rv I will ever buy so want to get it right.Thanks in advance...Hugo "Moe" Rinke

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Hi Hugo..Ive never heard of problems with aluminum frames that were not caused by improper overloading....If within your budget though and since you say its going to be your last trailer...go with an aluminum frame/ aluminum structure instead of stickwood ..it will outlast you and give you something worth selling when and if you decide you're done traveling..I had a Holiday Alumalite and it has outlasted the Shasta I traded it in on

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have had both the stick framed and the aluminum. Go with the aluminum and get opposing slideouts to give you more room. You won't be sorry.
Pat

·
Registered
170 Posts
Aluminum all the way. You also want the fiberglass exterior not steel. The first RV I purchased had a wood frame and the metal siding. I will never make that mistake again. My current 5th wheel is a 31' jayco with fiberglass siding and the aluminum frame and I love it, that is if they can finally get the slideout fixed!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Consider also Bigfoot; fiberglass clamshell if they make a product that will meet your needs re. size. 4 Season trailer...Holiday Ramblers with aluminite constructions are also well spoken of by their owners. Airstream? Late models are mostly cosmetic, very pricey, and dent in a hailstorm.

·
Molon Labe
11,995 Posts
I liked the aluminum framed Alumalite we had

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the advice.I thought it strange that if there were problems with them that they would continue making them.Seems my other adviser is misinformed.I Appreciate the comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.