Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a new BT99 Micro for my son. Gun arrived in perfect condition. Cleaned it thoroughly and stored it in new Browning hard case. Took him to club, lubricated it properly and he shot some practice rounds. Took it home, cleaned it again, applied light layer of gun oil, wiped off excess oil and stored it in case. Took him to club 3 days later, opened the case and found several small rust spots on left side of receiver and a rust streak along the side of the rib.

Very surprised by this as I've done the same procedure to my other son's Micro and my Citori Trap for years without any rust issue. We did not have any rain at his practice session and we had closed the case after getting the gun ready to shoot.

My only guess is that the new Browning case had moisture in the padding somehow. I removed the rust spots easily with regular Hoppe's gun oil. However it now has 7 very small dots where the rust was on the left side of the receiver that appear silver. It looks like the blue was removed from these 7 dots. Also appears to have a very small amount of blue removed from the edge of the rib where the rust was. I can't believe gun oil would have removed blueing.

Thoughts? Could the blueing have failed in just these 7 dots? Do I call Browning about this?

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
Let the gun cool off before storing it in the case. You may have had sweat on your hands that caused the rust spots. Salt and blueing don't mix. Might want to look at another case, that fuzzy interior attracts everything,and mostly bad for a shotgun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yup, I learned the hard way as well. Brand new Browning XT which I bought last year is now battling rust, and I can most likely say it was from the gun case. We don't have an actual safe at my house so I left my gun in the case over the winter to find some streaks inside my receiver. Nothing major and don't seem to any pitting, but during this years season I found a spot on my rib. I now make sure to wipe the gun down with oil and such after shooting it and always have the case open to breathe. It's my first shotgun and I learned the hard way but will make sure it doesn't happen again on a new gun.

I also think that this problem has to do with newer designs, my dad has a browning 725 which he bought probably 3-4 years ago and always puts his gun away right after shooting into a non breakdown soft case and has never had any issues whatsoever with rust.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If you must store it in the case, try this procedure.

1)Allow the gun to cool properly.
2)Clean and oil the gun thoroughly.
3)Insert gun in silicone embedded gun socks(they are available in many sizes and are relatively cheap).
4)Put gun in socks into the case.
5)Openly routinely to re-apply protective oil layer to gun.

When at all possible, store the gun in a humidity controlled safe instead of the case. The gun socks will help with the rust issue but it should never replace the routine wipe downs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the input. However, we routinely follow all the above suggestions anyway. The gun was allowed to cool at the club before putting into case. It was wiped down before putting into case. It was cleaned and oiled at home in cool dry room after returning from club. So any moisture in case had to get thru the oil to create those 7 spots. Should light surface rust be able to remove small dots of blueing? That's where I'm wondering if I need to call Browning.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. I had an almost new Browning XT. I had my Americase sitting open on the table, and didn't notice that my cat had climbed into the case and relieved himself. The pee was absorbed by the black foam and was invisable. I put the gun in the case, closed the lid, and left it in there for a week. When I opened the case, the smell almost knocked me over. The beautiful nickel hydride receiver and blued barrels were..well, never the same is puttin it mildly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Consider yourself lucky. I had an almost new Browning XT. I had my Americase sitting open on the table, and didn't notice that my cat had climbed into the case and relieved himself. The pee was absorbed by the black foam and was invisable. I put the gun in the case, closed the lid, and left it in there for a week. When I opened the case, the smell almost knocked me over. The beautiful nickel hydride receiver and blued barrels were..well, never the same is puttin it mildly.
Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you. Considering your situation I guess I could certainly accept 7 small silver dots on a blued receiver.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Do silicone impregnated gun socks have any effect on wood stocks?
They have never affected any of my stocks or wood pistol grips. I keep all of my guns(pistols, rifles, shotguns) in silicone socks in my safe. It not helps with the rust issue but also helps prevent any damage from inadvertent bumps between guns in the safe. I still use a Golden Rod in my safe as well for humidity control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts