Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1100 that has been in storage for 20+ years. it has two pencil lead size rust spots on the receiver. the blueing is still good. how do I get the rust spots off without removing the blue? any help? John Ellis

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hoppes penatrating oil. fine steel wool. Rub gently. You may want to reblue it after all rust is removed. It depends.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Johnellis, as posted above bluing is a type of rust (black oxide). If your spots have not gotten to deep into the metal (pitting) oooo steel wool and liberal application of Clenzoil should fix it. If you have "scale" type rust spot use Clenzoil and a copper penny and lightly rub off the rust scale. Either way if the spot does lose its blue use a little Vans cold blue and follow their directions. Jerry

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Don't suppose you'd be lucky enough that the spots could be hidden by a TS Shell Catcher? I wouldn't be that lucky. ;-)

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Stay away from steelwool, it sheds small particles which will rust. Use either bronzewool available at good woodworking and marine stores. Fine 3M scrub pads work very well and are available almost everywhere. 3M pads will cut just like bronze or steel wool which means go lightly or you will scratch the surface. As others have suggested use oil in combination with the pad.

Surfer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Before anything abrasive try a patch soaked with WD 40. Often works. Once you start with an abrasive you will be removing material. Worth a try.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
There is a form of stainless steel they sell at gun shows - beats anything I've seen. In configuration it is a lot like a Chore-Boy. I use one with Break-free. That combo has done some amazing things to rust without hurting bluing.
When I bought mine, it really didn't have a name; maybe that is what they call a Frontier Big 45 today? Regardless, it is the best I've found.
M.D.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A machinist friend of mine sent me the information that coating the rust spots with (wait for it!!!!) . . . . . molasses . . . will take the rust away. I've since done several clean up jobs, and by god, it works. And, it's cheap. I like that part.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Flitz polish works on bluing without harming the finish. It also protects the existing bluing. It will not, however, fix the spots that are rusted. Perhaps a bluing pen would make it look acceptable.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Use gun oil and 0000 steel wool. As the rust comes off wipe frequently with a soft cloth. This should take off any surface rust. If it's pitted see a gun smith that can work on metal. It may need light filing, buffing with a cloth wheel and cutting compound, and then re-blued.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts