Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a distinct and positive albeit minor move against the ammunition hoarding and speculating freaks, a local gun shop has taken a positive stand to put a kink in their tails. The owner of the one-man shop, who I will call Bob as he is not the type to call attention to himself, runs one of the largest ammunition and reloading supply shop in this half of the state. He has always put customers first by not gouging them as practically all gun shops do. When he has a price increase on his latest order, he does not rush to mark up his existing stock to reflect the new price increase, he allows it to be sold at the marked price and the increase is only marked on the new stock. He has been disturbed over the price gouging and hoarding freaks buying up all of the .22 ammunition and leaving legitimate .22 owners with nothing to shoot. He started by limiting buyers to one box at a time and since he knows most of his customers, he can control the hoarding freaks. He makes sure that he has at least one box available for each .22 rifle buyer. As a move to stop those speculating freaks who buy up all of the .22 LR ammunition and then rush to sell it on the internet at elevated prices, he has instituted a policy of allowing the freaks to buy .22 LR ammunition but they receive the ammunition in plastic baggies, not the boxes. The speculating freaks no longer even come into his shop since he instituted this practice.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I have not been able to buy .22 ammo now for over a year or two.

Scheels in my area occasionally has some in, but it has always been sold out by the time I get there.

There are certain people (hoarders) that are at the store every morning to see if any .22 ammo was put on the shelves overnight. We're talking 6 days a week.

From my place to Scheels is about 18 miles round trip. No way am I going there every day just to check on .22 ammo.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
But you know...we're only about 5 posts from one of the hoarders, or "Defenders of Capitalism" as they like to think of themselves, coming on here and saying, "You want some CHEESE with your whine?"

In my lifetime, I can never remember an economy with so many unemployed older workers with little to no skills like we have now, looking for an informal way of financing their hobbies. No job and nowhere to be, except at Gander Mountain/Walmart/Dick's at 8AM. Cash the disability check...and go buy as much .22lr as you can. Say what you want, but I would not trade places with these people for anything. We should really pity them.

I think the real problem for the rest of us, is that not enough people reload. With the exorbitant ammo prices in general, caused by China and the metals market, many people have quit shooting their centerfire guns, and are doing all their recreational shooting with .22s now. I can't help but think, if these people would just invest the cost of one Ruger .22/45 Lite or M&P 15 that they've purchased over the last year, and put it instead into a good reloading press, they could be shooting centerfire for close to what they're paying for .22lr, and not having to stand in line or camp outside stores to do it. It might take a lot of pressure off the .22 market. Yes, it would distribute some of the pressure back onto primers, powder, and bullets, but you might not see the absurd spectacle of stores with rows and rows of over-priced centerfire ammo, with no .22 to be found (because of people who are brutally dependent on .22 to be able to do any shooting at all).

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I've had my tinfoil hat on for years worrying about the coming of this day. I've accumulated WW, lino, and pure lead for years, I've not hoarded recently,but looking in my reloading room, one would think I did, but all that powder,brass, and primers have been there for a long time also. I did load up right before the Sandy Hook (the lead up tragedy to all this) not knowing of Sandy Hook until the next day. It was just coinkidink. But dang glad I did, it's been bare shelves ever since. When I need to restock on powder or primers, I have a local trap shooter supplier that has in sock nearly everything.

And I do cast for everything metallic, and it is cheaper than 22's to shoot by far. 9, 40, and 45 are just about half of what it costs to shoot a 22, and I get about as much enjoyment from casting and loading as I do shooting.

It's just whatever floats yer boat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts