Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rules/procedures first: A squad takes the line for a doubles event and asks to see a pair. The targets look low, slow, and clearly fall short of the 44 yd. stake; no wind. The squad agrees to go ahead and shoot what seem to be illegal targets. Is it the scorers responsibility to have the targets adjusted before proceeding ? The rule book clearly defines legal targets so can the squad agree to shoot illegal targets ?

Resources: Although not a shotgunning question I thought I'd "coat tail" on this thread. Does anyone know of a source for .300 Blackout ammo ?

Thanks

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Rules/procedures first: A squad takes the line for a doubles event and asks to see a pair. The targets look low, slow, and clearly fall short of the 44 yd. stake; no wind. The squad agrees to go ahead and shoot what seem to be illegal targets. Is it the scorers responsibility to have the targets adjusted before proceeding ? The rule book clearly defines legal targets so can the squad agree to shoot illegal targets ?

Resources: Although not a shotgunning question I thought I'd "coat tail" on this thread. Does anyone know of a source for .300 Blackout ammo ?

Thanks
I do have a source for .300 Blackout ammo. My reloading room is my source for all of my ammunition. I load over 20 metallic cartridges and 4 gauges of shotgun shells.
MG

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It is the squad's responsibility to get legal targets set. Once you shoot them they are yours. A lot of times we seem to forget that legal targets are actually the best, most consistent targets, and if the shooter doesn't get good targets set by management they are only hurting themselves.

No help on the .300 ammo

K

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
can the squad agree to shoot illegal targets ?
Sure. People do it all the time.

Most of the time when people have the targets adjusted they are adjusted from legal to illegal.

Most people think the targets should be higher than what is specified in the rule book, for example. Especially on doubles.

Does anyone know of a source for .300 Blackout ammo ?
.300 AAC Blackout Ammo

·
Registered
32,284 Posts

Thanks
I think it behooves the host to provide legal targets to all contestants. No one should receive unfair advantage. No way you can tell if a target is legal or illegal unless it is measured.

—————————

Why buy 300Blackout ammo when you can “roll your own?”

I made over 500 rounds of 300Blackout using 223Rem/556 brass which is in great supply.

Found a miniature chop saw from Harbor Freight Tools for less than 30 bucks.

Fashioned a jig hold the case and cut the neck off the brass, just below the shoulder.

Using Hornrady dies, I formed the cut brass to 300Blackout shape and trimmed to length.

I managed to get the brass cut and sized so close the length spec, very little trim was needed, not much more than chamfer inside and outside.

You can find several videos on YouTube, “how to.” This one is close to how I did it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Take a trip out a local range you can probably find all you want by looking through a few trash cans not many that I know of reload 223. Then make your own.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I had that happen to me at a PITA state shoot. Hight was a little low, targets seemed slow and fell short to me. There was no doubles stakes. Target setter insisted that they were set properly and would not change them. I shot my first 50 straight and won the Prelim Doubles and the State Championship.

Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts