Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about asking for one of these as a Christmas present this year:

Shooting Carts (3-Gun)

I'm trying to decide between the muzzles up version of the cart and the muzzles down version of the cart.

Has anybody tried the new muzzles up version yet? If so, what do you think?

I think you lose a bit of storage space with that configuration.

thanks,

Wass

·
Registered
779 Posts
I prefer muzzles down. There's no chance of something falling into the barrels, and it does conserve space. -Ed

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
A wee bit O/T but has anyone built a shooting cart from a used jogging stroller? That's what I'm contemplating. Just can't justify the cost of a Rugged Gear unit with our dollar at such a disadvantage.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I made my own from a baby jogging cart that I found on Craiglist for $40. Then bought ATV handlebar gun mounts on Amazon for $30. Made my own lower gun holder from 4" PVC couplings with rubber pads inside them to protect barrels. All told less then $100 and I get "Hey great cart" comments at the range all the time.
Product Baby carriage Vehicle Transport Baby Products

·
Registered
33,690 Posts
So is it true that registered sporting clays events require all gun mounts on carts be "muzzle up" ???

Saw these carts at a shooting facility that are modified baby strollers. The gun butt sits in the lower box ( pics 1 and) behind rear wheels with barrel held between fingers show in last pic.

Thinking about making my own. Was going to go with muzzle down, but after seeing these, not sure. Would come up with better gripping than pictured. If I ever do take up SC, I would want to be compliant and not have rebuild or build new cart? Opinions please?

Product Baby carriage Vehicle Motor vehicle Baby Products

Product Vehicle Spoke Wheel Automotive wheel system
Vehicle Rim Wheel

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was thinking of making a removable conversion kit for my Clic Gear golf cart. One that I can attach and detach easily so it is good for golf days and good for trap days. I realized the need for a cart when I was at North Leominster this past weekend. Long walks, and not enough racks.

·
Registered
33,690 Posts
Rick R,

Do you know if Sporting Clays requires muzzle up?

Anybody?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Product Baby carriage Baby Products
Muzzle down, Even in NSCA registered tournaments.
Heres A pic of my homemade one using the common jogging stroller.
30.00 for the stroller, 24.00 for the mounts and 2.16 for 2 PVC caps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rick R,

Do you know if Sporting Clays requires muzzle up?

Anybody?
Muzzle up is the norm when using A Golf Cart rental. Must that have their own carts use scabbards or mount them in the seat area.
Shotguns carried horizontal on ATVs of GC are against the rules.

·
Registered
33,690 Posts
Okay, the reason I asked is this is the rule from NSCA, page 15

"The use of horizontal gun racks or horizontal gun cases are not permitted. Horizontal gun racks may not be used on any manner of conveyance or on a course where any part of the body of a shooter or guest may pass in front of a firearm's muzzle, whether the firearm is loaded or not. Failure to en- force this rule may subject the club to disciplinary action under Rule I-B-4. "

These pictures I posted are carts rented out at a shooting facility where NSCA events are held. One might argue that the typical cart as pictured by kirk37 could be in violation of this rule, because the legs and feet of a shooter or bystander could be in line with the muzzle. I have seen people pushing these muzzle down carts with the front wheel off the ground and the muzzle almost horizontal.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Rick. You quoted the correct rule in the NSCA rule book.
I agree you do see carts being pushed front wheel up on the course. Take notice the next time you see it. Usually it is for 2 reasons.
1 the front wheel does not swivel.
2 the front wheel is very small.
both reasons make it hard to push the cart in wet mulch or mud. Thus causing the shooter to raise the front wheel to push thru the muck.
look at the purpose built carts they most always are muzzle down unless modified by the user.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts