Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger announced at the Shot Show that they will not be selling any more semi-auto pistols to California. It takes $200 per year per gun model to keep them on the list, and any product improvement requires more lab testing (drop tests, etc.) which is not cheap. And the microstamping law is kicking in. Ruger says the technology does not exist, so they cannot meet the legal requirements.

It's not known if Ruger will stop sales to Cali law enforcement and government.

-----------------

Ruger is going to stop selling semiautomatic pistols in California:

In perhaps one of the more shocking discoveries at the 2014 SHOT Show, Ruger spokesperson Kevin Reid revealed that Ruger was going to let it’s entire California Semiautomatic pistol roster “…drop off…” the CA Department of Justice Approved Handgun List.

It seems that in Ruger’s slavish dedication to the concept of “continuous improvement”, and that California is milking some $ 200 per pistol per year to stay on the list AND that microstamping is now the rule, Ruger has already let some 60+ semiautomatic pistols drop off the approved handgun roster with the rest shortly to follow. (Note to the legal beagles out there: NSSF Governmental Relations/State Affairs Director Jake McGuigan did announce at an early morning seminar that NSSF had filed suit on or around January 9 regarding the microstamping issue in California.).

How this effects Ruger Sales of revolvers and rifles in the Fool’s Paradise of Kalifornia remains to be seen. While Ruger continues to produce excellent revolvers, California gun owners are notorious for voting with their feet against businesses that desert them when the chips are down. Hopefully this won’t too badly effect the roll-out of the latest GP-100.

·
Registered
315 Posts
California grows more dystopian each year. The Democrats in the State Legislature are anti-gun, anti-business. They continually pass new restrictive laws which are not voted on by its citizens. With the stroke of a pen many gun owners will become overnight "lawbreakers."

At least I can still legally lane-split with my motorcycle in our congested traffic.

Kim Z.

Southern California

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
I recall about ten ~ 12 years ago when AZ finally put the screws to CA...

The two states share water resources from the Colorado River. Like most things flowing down hill CA got the 'cast offs' of what AZ didn't use. What CA forgot was that the two states had a very specific water sharing agreement. AZ, with a relatively small population at the time did not use the full share of water they were entitled to.

With population changes AZ started to use more and more of it's true share.

Of course CA called 'foul.'

Angry that AZ now wanted to 'steal' CA water resources. Didn't matter that there was a contract, the CA mindset was that because AZ didn't use it in the past that it all belonged to CA...

west coast mentality... (sorry B in O - SOUTH west coast mentality...)

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
"The Golden State produces nearly half of the nation's fruits, nuts and vegetables."

A reporter wrote the above sentence in an article about the drought not realizing that the rest of the country has been saying the same thing for decades. 1/10th the population of the USA but producing half the wierdos and nearly all the ludicrous utopian ideas.

Don T

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I'd enjoy seeing Arizona start using ALL it's water allocation. Perhaps to irrigate it's OWN crops, or just run it out on the ground to keep California from getting it. Afterall....California has all that cold blue PACIFIC ocean water, all they have to do is build a few VERY EXPENSIVE reverse osmosis desalination plants and they'll have all the fresh water they want. Problem solved. Got any tough ones..??
Oh wait...you say it's too expensive...??? You say Californians can't afford it..???
Since when was THAT a problem..?? All they need to do is raise the taxes on the Hollywierd wealthy crowd who have OBVIOUSLY not been paying their fair share to provide fresh water..."for the children".

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HSLDS, back in the 1970s California was having water shortages. A politician there proposed damming up Oregon's Deschutes River and piping it to California. Our governor told them no way. The politician told him that when California needed it they would just come take it.

There was also a scheme about a decade or so ago to build giant rubber bladders capable of sea travel. A fleet of these would come to the mouth of the Columbia River, in far enough to get out of the brackish water, then be pumped full of river water. They'd be barged to San Francisco Bay and be pumped into the irrigation system. Nothing ever happened with that plan. At least the water taken would have wound up going out to sea otherwise. Impact would have been minimal.

We've been fighting disruptive liquid natural gas pipelines that would feed California because Californians don't want LNG facilities built there. They want them built in other states. Why should we get the environmental risks and farm and timber land torn up if they're not willing? Just like they don't want fuel refineries but expect other states to host them. Ditto for electricity.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
BIO it's that NIMBY thing

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of our electricity here comes from dams, which of course have issues with fish migration.

So I love asking electric car owners how many salmon per mile they get.

It really cheeses them off because they are so uppity about being green.

Now that some of our electricity comes from wind turbines, I'll have to update that with how many eagles per mile.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I was reading an article about the Sierra Club, they want to shut down the dams so fish can spawn, they want to shut down the wind farms they call them the Cuisinart of the skies because of all the eagles and other birds of prey they kill, they want to shut down solar because of the damage to habitat, and of course they want to shut down all the coal nat gas and nukes

Where do these friggin morons think they will get power

I know it wouldn't be good for all of us to move into caves, we would disturb the bears and other animals that live in them

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does solar harm the environment?

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
They said the big solar farms they are setting up in the Mojave are effecting the animals that live there

Actually tree huggers and libs (same thing I know)aren't happy if they aren't effing up somebodies plans

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Coming back from California at Christmas time from my Dad's, a lady on the airplane asked me if we had any windturbines. I said there are two on the ranch I work for. She asked me if I had seen any dead birds around them, or underneath them. I said no.(Which is the truth)

She asked me how often I checked them. I said I went over looked at them when they were put up three years ago, and hadn't been back since. I see them everyday, but I have better things to do than to go check for dead birds. Luckily, she didn't talk to me for the rest of the flight. LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Solar power is one of the most inefficient ways of generating electricity, in terms of energy-in vs energy-out. If you think of it (i.e. strictly speaking), solar power is actually nuclear power (what do people think the sun IS? Isn't it a huge hydrogen fusion celestial body? - only the ignorant are making use of the process in the most inefficient way. Mind you, I'm not saying solar-power does not have its place. Its place is where there is no other way to generate electricity.

California is what it is.

Chichay

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Yes Rick, she was ugly(as a mud fence). Those solar panels around here don't last long in a hail storm. We have a couple of solar wells at the ranch, and they get beat up pretty bad.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hey, we don't need water sources in California! When I go to the faucet, water comes out. I plug into the wall and there's electricity, and when I go to the service station, they always have gas! We have everything we need here. Even the stores have meat and vegetables so we don't need no stinking farms.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
If true, it's exactly what the antis want.

Now wait for the floodgates of regulation to open in other states...MA, IL, etc.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone blame Ruger? Not only being blackmailed $200 per gun per year of the exact type they want to sell in California, but the lab testing every time they improve their product or make more than a cosmetic change*, plus having to pay for older models since distributors still have them in stock** and if they want to still sell them there, plus the new requirement for microstamping which technology does not exist for.

* Supposedly cosmetic changes like color, finish, sights, grips, etc., do not require new lab testing and new payment, but some manufacturer reps are saying the opposite.

** Ruger stopped paying for 60 older models, saving them $12,000 per year.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
California always brags about having the worlds 5th largest economy....
Maybe they should be their own country and see how long they last.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts