Trapshooters Forum banner

Ruger Mark ll Target

3K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  FWP 
#1 ·
I have stainless version with the adjustable sights and 6-7/8” tapered barrel. I’m seeing impressive values on these guns. Is anyone here familiar with them?

#2 ·
I think you will see a decreasing interest in the Mark I ~ Mark III Ruger pistols - since they came out with the ridiculously easy to disassemble Mark IV.

Nothing wrong with them, but given the challenge of stripping one down to clean as compared to the new version why bother??

Reactions: Sokyman1
#6 ·
Mine is unbelievably accurate, I’m mean stupid accurate. I just don’t enjoy punching paper. If I were in an area where I could regularly go shoot steel plates I’d use it a lot. They’re a blast to shoot for sure and yes, deadly accurate.

#7 ·
Swampy16,

Yeah - Collectors of Ruger 22 pistols are a bit out there.

I have a love of the original version from the first 18 months of production (before Sturm died) - the eagle on the grip was red, on Sturm's death Ruger converted the eagle to black - as it remains to this day (they have made some variants where the surround of the eagle is red, but not the bird itself).

I think these are the only really rare variant of the gun, but people go nuts asking & paying stupid money for all sorts of versions.

I have the same pistol as you and I agree on the accuracy.

Not sure if there is a regional swelling of interest, but who knows...

#11 ·
Shouldn't be for a stainless gun. The surround could be red, but not the eagle itself.

The 'Red Eagle' guns were made from 1949 into 1952 (~ 18 months of production).

They were offered in blue steel only, a 4" Standard model (I think it was 4"), and a 6 7/8" Target model.

To get a real value of the gun go to GunBroker, and log-in. Do an advanced search for completed items you will see what someone is willing to pay for the gun, not what someone is asking for it.

Reactions: Dustydoo
#20 ·
Super accurate guns and tons of add one for them. Volquartzen makes almost every upgrade u can buy for one.
The reason people prefer the mark 2 vs 3 is because the 3s have a loaded chamber indicator that has been know to cause some issues. Also the the 3 has to have a mag in it to shoot. You can remove this feature tho.
I have a mark 3 slab side with volqusrtzen volthane grips and accurizing kit and it is a fun and accurate gun to shoot.
As far as tear down. After you do it a time or 2 it’s not a big deal. My 15 year old daughter shoots it for league and tears down and cleans it herself.

#24 ·
The MKI they changed the gun part way through so the older grips are different than the later model grips (formed different on the inside). The MKI and MKII clips also had to be detached from the bottom. The MKIII they changed the clip so you just push a button and it drops out (the only real change is a little piece that sticks out on the MKIII and MKIV clip) so the clips are not interchangeable between the first 2 models and the last 2 models.

#26 ·
The Ruger pistol can be a pain to disassemble, especially when new and not broken in.

Reassembly is a pain - no matter what - the hammer strut has a tendency to get stuck under the cross pin in the back of the grip.

This small block can be inserted into the grip of the pistol and prevents this from happening - and it only costs $15 + P/H

https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/

#28 ·
swampy...back to your OQ, the 6 7/8" bbl was marketed for met silo shooters. it was a tad heavy for bullseye, but in met silo shooting, you could use 2 hands. thus the reason most likely youre seeing high prices on them out of rarity. most common and popular bbl on a ruger is the 5 1/2" bull bbl.

Reactions: Leo
#32 ·
Mine sucked until I put in a Volquartzen trigger kit and polished the feed ramp..............

thus my claim on hi standards.
I have fired a High Standard Sport king and it was alright. I fired a minty Supermatic and it was very good. The guy paid more than 3 times the price for it that a Ruger costs. When you pay premium price, you should get a premium product. And like so many things we love, they just don't make them like that anymore. Happy that you have one.

#31 ·
The 10" MKII was a popular silhouette gun. In recent years, the blues were bringing $500+ and the stainless $600+. Ruger must have finally woke up because they recently began making the MK IV in 10".

I have a few of the MK II 10" guns. They are my range favorite .22 pistols.

#34 · (Edited)
a sport king is a field grade hi standard. its equal is a mk1.
when you get into the citation, trophy, victor, 10x, shay custom level....you get what you pay for...without having to add anything to it.
strange how mk1-2's are skyrocketing. they were at most a 250-300 gun.
the ruger has its nitch. it has (and it cant be disputed,) the ability to eat anything.
but, in order to improve a gun, it takes more than slapping adj sights on, or offering different bbl lengths or finishes.
the sign of a great gun is its trigger, accuracy, balance, endurance, and reputation to win.
rugers have a reputation, the endurance, and are loved by many.
but ive never known hi standard shooters to switch to rugers.....yet, numerous shooters ive known switched to hi standards.
both were accepted by the u.s.military for use. that's a head nod for sure.
stainless guns both high standard and ruger were never popular. seems blued was the most sold for both.
maybe that's why the OP's gun is skyrocketing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.