Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many new pistols have a break in period. Run a few, strip down and clean well, run a few boxes.

My Kimber had a 500 rnd break in period (not cheap with todays .45 prices}.

Your Ruger won't take that much.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
where are you located?

It was 12 degrees today in Pennsylvania.

New gun is probably packed with grease.

Clean it up, shoot it again and see how it goes.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
It cheeses me off when excuses are made that guns have break in periods.

Guns should work out of the box (once cleaned and lubed). No ifs, ands or buts.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
With the wife and daughter shooting were they perhaps "limp wristing" the gun. I have had a pistol or two that if you did not hold it tightly with a strong grip it would fail to eject (stovepipe) and fail to feed. That is one reason shooting defense teachers recommend that you fire your pistol (in practice) using each hand in turn. If you get into a situation where your strong arm is immobilized and you have to go weak side, you had better know how to handle it.

Another thing to consider is the ammo if you are using bullet weights at the light end of the scale. Did you have the heavy bullets for that caliber or did you go instead to the light end? The light bullet might not develop enough recoil, especially with a limp wrist, to fully work the action.

With the LC380 being a new model there is always a possibility that you might have a problem with new technology. Have you contacted Ruger to see what they might have to say?

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
The smaller the gun the more critical the grip. Let other folks shoot the gun before it is faulted. Use good quality hardball ammo in the Mouse Gun.

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
My Sig 238 and 938 didn't have that problem. The wife shot'em the first time, and she's a limp wristed 5'-8", 135 pounder.....right out of the box.

Of course they're $350_+ more. But, what's a life worth?

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Apples and oranges. The Ruger is much smaller and grip is more critical. They are good guns if one takes the time to learn how to shoot them. I see this on a daily basis.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Dear JON O

I replied to your PM. Not trying to be a killjoy, and am not a Ruger employee.

I see folks on the range who cannot make a Glock work. Among other things, I am an RSO and professional defensive trainer at one of the largest indoor ranges in the SE USA.

I do see folks who cannot make autos run every day. Glocks, Kimbers, Sigs, Rugers, etc.

Almost always, after a minute or so of instruction, they have success. Occasionally, some folks do not have the hand and arm strength to shoot these little guns.

Varsity athlete means nothing if she does not have specific strength and technique to shoot the mouse gun.

This is the reason a lot of "seasoned" trainers still praise the small frame revolver for a defensive tool. In a panic, or if injured, one may not be able to successfully deploy a very small auto. The wheelgun shines under adverse conditions.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I am no ruger expert and have no experience with a pistol like yours. I had trouble with a Ruger handgun in the 90's that was far out of warranty. I called them and made shipping arrangements. They worked on it an shipped it back no charge, and it functioned perfectly. I was impressed with the customer service. I bought two more Ruger products since then that function fine.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
BIO is absolutely correct. Any gun should work right out of the box. The "break in" period is to loosen up critical moving parts and polish the areas from usage. Just oil it up.

blade819

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Break in? Clean, lube, and shoot. Should not take more than that these days. I think of a "Break In" period as just a test to see if the gun is reliable enough with the ammo I'm using.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts