Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother got one in 30-06 for Xmas...shoots excellent and I think the sturdiest and smoothest feeders of all the bargain hunting rifles out there..built like a typical Ruger..to last a million years and no better company backing you if there is a problem

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have a Ruger 77 Target in .223 Remington with the 26" target grey barrel and laminated stock. Classic Mauser claw extraction and 3 position bolt safety. Set up with 6x18 AO Leupold Vari-X II Target in the factory Ruger mounts, lapped for true scope fit.

Very smooth action and excellent wood to metal fit. Shoot's sub MOA angle with my hand loads with some 5 shot groups sub 1/2 MOA from a Sinclair mechanical rest and range bags.

Built like a tank and should shoot forever with 24.5 grains of IMR 4895 and 52 gain Speer BT-HP match bullet for about 3000 fps.

You can't go wrong with a Ruger.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Replying to a question about a Ruger American with examples of how well your M77 performs is like comparing a Model 12 to a Win 1200. Two completely different guns.

·
Sky Buster
4,036 Posts
The Ruger American rifle is just another example of how
to make a product "cheaper". Cut the cost out of it.
Remington has done the same thing with their latest
offering. All the manufacturers are doing it. Take out
the handwork, use castings or metal injection molding
and you end up with the American rifle.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I sighted in a Ruger American in .270 for one of my Boy Scouts this past fall.
With Winchester .270 130 gr PP it was a one inch rifle. The rifle doesn't weigh much and the young scout was not comfortable with the recoil. I told his Dad to have get a .243. He will grow into the rifle.

I have not heard of a Ruger American that did not shoot extremely well.

SM

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I've seen the rimfire American model. If it shoots as well as it is designed and built Ruger is going to set the new standard for relatively inexpensive youth and adult bolt action rimfires.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just traded for one of the RAR rimfire compact model with the shorter pull and 18" barrel. I have only shot it a little but love the feel of the gun. I hate the 2 stage trigger, but then again, I hate all 2 stage triggers! I took the weight down on this trigger to the lightest possible with factory settings and it will make a nice hunting trigger.

I have read nothing but good reviews on the centerfire models and that will likely be my next acquisition!

Mike

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I've got three Ruger American rifles, .243, .270 and 30-06. Have a Leupold scope mounted on each one and they are all very accurate. For the money they are truly hard to beat.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can relate to that I live in White Oak Pa & have been shoveling a lot of that same snow as you. Maybe we have shot some of the same targets too. League shoot at Trafford gun club Sunday is going to be a little cold & windy
Rick Singer

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I bought one in .308. Groups at 100 yards with generic handloads were under one inch. If I take a little time to work up a load for this rifle, it might do better. I won't complain about accuracy. It DOES feel like a cheap plastic firearm. Said the same thing about the ARs and glocks thirty years ago and still do. I just can't get past the idea of the plastic magazine construction and the price of a spare. I'll do some bedding work and try some load development and I'm sure this thing will do well. The scope is a cheap 4-12 50 mm Truglo. My biggest complaint is that this thing is very light. It makes it difficult for a beginning or recoil sensitive shooter to handle. 243 is a good choice for less recoil.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I bought a Ruger American in 30-06 and it shoots great. More accurate than some of my Remington 700's. It is light, would be great to carry and I don't mind the recoil because I normally shoot a 8MM Remington Magnum but a young kid would probably say it kicks too much. Not really sure why I bought it since I already had 8 or 9 other deer rifles but you could not beat the price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought an American .243 with a leupold vari x iii for my daughter. Shoots good real impressed. I am a little leary about the plastic magazine clip but so far no problem. Also looked at the Remington 770 what a P.O.S. I have always been a Remington guy, love my 700 LSS shoots awesome, but the 770 I wouldn't touch.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Don't worry about the plastic magazine - they use that material because it makes a stronger and more reliable magazine than does sheet metal. This isn't a case of cheaping out it is more a matter of advanced technology. I know, the whole plastic parts on guns thing is difficult to accept for us blued steel and walnut guys.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
My dad currently has his American back at Ruger. A piece inside the bolt sheared off (something that was cast). Ruger is unable to repair it, so they will be sending a replacement gun. Only issue is he will have to have it shipped to a FFL, and pay for the transfer, because it is a completely new gun with a new serial number.

This seems to be an anomaly since I researched "Ruger American repair" or "Ruger American Breaks", and couldn't find any other posts on google referencing the same type of issue.

·
Sky Buster
4,036 Posts
The Ruger American is no better than the Remington 770.
Both were designed from the "get Go" to be made as
cheaply as possible. You get what you pay for!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sky buster have you looked at both guns? The Ruger is clearly a better gun. Try the bolt on both. I have always been a Remington guy and they do make great guns, just not that one. In my opinion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Per Chuck Hawks review:
On the minus side of the ledger is an ugly plastic stock with molded gripping surfaces reminiscent of a shower mat, plastic trigger guard molded as part of the stock, a receiver milled from 4140 bar stock with an oval cut-out for an ejection port, a free floating barrel, small lug-mounted claw extractor (the ejector is the usual bolt face plunger type), horrible matte metal finish and a plastic bolt shroud that I absolutely would not trust for protection from escaping powder gasses in the event of a blown case. The bolt shroud is apparently just for looks.

Like the Remington 770/783, just about the cheapest rifle you can buy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts