Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have to remove the rear sight, Ruger makes a tall set of rings but they are proud of them.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
Your old scope is 33mm, new is 40mm. That is a difference of 7mm.

You need to divide that in half - half that difference will be 'up' half will be 'down.'

3.5mm - that's just over 1/8" (1/8" = 0.125", 3.5 mm = 1.38"). Your clearance is about 0.25"

You should be OK... this assumes that the wall thicknesses of the scopes are similar.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I also have one with the heavy barrel and a 3-9X40 and it has plenty of clearance even with the slide on lens cover. You should have no problem.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
It will fit. The limit will be a 50 mm objective -I know because I put a 4.5x14x50 VXIII Leupold on a 77/17 and the objective bell just touched the bbl when I got the eye relief where I wanted it. So I got a set of high rings which really weren't that expensive.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have a number of Ruger 77/22's and I believe that you will be alright with the 40mm on the standard rings. However, in the past Ruger has exchanged rings for me without charge, only a phone call and an $8 mailing fee. FWIW.

Kip

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Ruger ain't the only company making rings for their rifles.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I agree that Ruger will exchange rings for rings of another height but I doubt they'd accept old used rings even-up for new ones? I've exchanged rings more than once but the ones I sent back were new and unused in the original packaging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts