Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
17 years and I’ve not ever cleaned the plastic out of my barrels… maybe those extra 1-2 birds per 100 care, but judging by the 98-99 hits, I don’t think it’s the plastic. ;-)

don’t get me wrong. I clean the bluing, breachface, all the other parts. Just not the inside of the barrel.
If you are using screw in chokes - and you 'never' clean bore/including choke tube and inside threads of barrel - one day you will see a choke tube as part of your pattern.

If you ever 'join' USMC your world will change when it comes to cleaning firearms (and toilets, and floors, etc)

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,515 Posts
If you are using screw in chokes - and you 'never' clean bore/including choke tube and inside threads of barrel - one day you will see a choke tube as part of your pattern.

If you ever 'join' USMC your world will change when it comes to cleaning firearms (and toilets, and floors, etc)
Fixed chokes.
I clean my guns with chokes regularly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anybody ever tried using full strength rubbing alcohol for cleaning powder / plastic residue from chokes or gun bore?

It works well for getting everything else off slick metal or glass surfaces.

Just a random thought, gonna give it a try next time I do the every 6 week bore cleaning................

WL
Have you tried any other products just in case it might take off some color

·
2,774 Posts
Yes, I tried the rubbing alcohol several times. It did absolutely nothing on the plastic wadding. I havre used it on powder residue, mostly on handguns and it works "okay" but I believe there are better products for all types of cleaning than rubbing alcohol.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Thanks I do. I appreciate your concern. I know how to take care of my guns.
Then why did you respond as you did in the post below?

17 years and I’ve not ever cleaned the plastic out of my barrels… maybe those extra 1-2 birds per 100 care, but judging by the 98-99 hits, I don’t think it’s the plastic. ;-)

don’t get me wrong. I clean the bluing, breachface, all the other parts. Just not the inside of the barrel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the Brownells plastic remover, and it works pretty well, especially on chokes that apparently haven't been cleaned in a long time, if ever. Such as what I've found on used guns I've bought over the years. For particularly stubborn jobs, I wrap 100% copper pan scrubber pad on a tornado brush.

I bought an old 16 gauge LC Smith that appeared to have never been cleaned. Finally got the plastic out, still working on the lead that was underneath the plastic. Somebody must have hunted the hell out of that gun for 80+/- years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spray WD 40 inside the barrels and let it soak, then brush in a drill. I also have done it the way BOXMAN76 does it and that works great too. I use non chlorinated brake cleaner on the rest of the gun and that works as good as gun scrubber, only a lot cheaper. I wrap a cleaning patch around a bronze brush for the final run through.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts