Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I use any good ole fashion gun solvent for my shotguns. About the only oddity is ill soak the ejectors/springs and trigger in mineral spirits once or twice a year. Scrub with any solvent blow dry and spray with oil before re-installing. Really does help on the ejector, not sure if it does anything for the trigger.

·
Registered
617 Posts
equal parts acetone, automatic transmission fluid(non syn) and kerosene, soak choke tubes overnight and chuck up a brush in my cordless drill and work the tubes, then chuck up a 36" steel rod and brush and work the barrel with the solution and brush. clean with cotton rags and lube with oil. I try to clean after every 400 + or - rounds down the barrel. nasty barrells I use a brush wraped in 4/0 steel wool.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well, looks like this might just be the best kept secret ever on bore cleaning. Providing, it works as well as I think it will.....

Whenever I get around to trying it I'm thinking of keeping the results secret also!

WL
IPA works pretty well for removing the adhesive from band aids and as an antibacterial agent. If you have those in your barrel, it will probably work very well. If you are concerned about plastic, lead or powder residue, you will find it lacking. Pick up an old wad at your gun club, take it home and put it in a jar of IPA. Check in a week and see if it has changed significantly and report back with the results.
I suspect that it will degrade about as much as the plastic bottle you poured it from. Good luck in experimenting. BTW, I will be watching for “Wildcats first aid and bore cleaner” on the shelves soon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am the developer and distributor of RGS. But if you look at our web site, rgsguncleaner.com you can see the remarks from our customers.
Thanks. I thought I had seen that in another thread.

The reason I mentioned it is that it's considered good form to disclose in a review if you have a financial interest in the promotion of a product. Something to the effect of "Full disclosure, I am the developer/distributor for XYZ." That way you don't mislead people into thinking you're providing an unbiased opinion.

You wouldn't want people to think you're an unethical shill who puts making a buck above honesty and integrity, right? I think that most people wouldn't want to use a product on their expensive guns made by someone who they perceive to be cutting corners.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Well, I use RGS cleaner, and I do not have any financial interest in it. Run some down the barrel and rotate it so the whole inside of the barrel is soaked. Then let is sit for about ten minutes, or depending on the plastic build-up maybe overnight. Then run a tornado brush down it, and it comes off in chunks, bits, and pieces. Perfectly clean barrel, and choke tubes, if you have them.

I also use it when I take down the complete receivers for cleaning, and use a nylon brush to scrub out the dirt and grease.

Sure rubbing alcohol may be cheaper, but what is the cost per cleaning of the barrel when using RGS that I know works, maybe .25 cents if even that. Should be able to afford it if you have a $100 gun, and still trust it on a $20,000 gun.

Reactions: big kahuna

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, I use RGS cleaner, and I do not have any financial interest in it. Run some down the barrel and rotate it so the whole inside of the barrel is soaked. Then let is sit for about ten minutes, or depending on the plastic build-up maybe overnight. Then run a tornado brush down it, and it comes off in chunks, bits, and pieces. Perfectly clean barrel, and choke tubes, if you have them.

I also use it when I take down the complete receivers for cleaning, and use a nylon brush to scrub out the dirt and grease.

Sure rubbing alcohol may be cheaper, but what is the cost per cleaning of the barrel when using RGS that I know works, maybe .25 cents if even that. Should be able to afford it if you have a $100 gun, and still trust it on a $20,000 gun.
Good to know. I may try it. I am currently using a couple of other bore cleaners but it's taking several passes to get all the crud out.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with the product (have never used it), just with people advertising on the forum without letting people know who they are.

Sometimes business people are their own worst enemies.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts