Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon as I was finishing up an oil change, I was putting the plastic engine shield back on at the bottom of the engine/car. I have rounded off a bolt. I know there are many "home remedies" to this problem, like chisels, hack saw blades. I don't have the room in the garage to do this, I saw where Irwin tools makes a socket designed just for this problem. Anyone have any thoughts, are they good, what about Craftsman, Kobalt, etc. Thanks everybody!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
small vice grip, if you can get it on , small stilsen wrench ( plumbers wrench, pipe wrench) , craftsman online to see what is available. If it is american size try a metric socket to see if that fits tightly. Without drilling a hole in the middle and using an ez out best I can suggest. good luck

rich

·
Registered
50 Posts
They make different size sockets to take out studs that are threaded on both ends and not wreck the threads should work on the bolt head

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If it is standard sized ( 1/2, 9/16, etc) try a metric socket of a different size. Or, visa-versa, metric try standard.

If it is pretty solidly mounted, and you can get to the head easily, sometimes some tapping on the head with a hammer will re-shapen the head for a socket, plus it jars the bolt threads and makes it easier to loosen. Be careful, though.

I do the hammer trick on phillips head screws all the time for a better screwdriver fit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Since you are working with a plastic shield, the following will not work but I have used it where a bolt left just enough to barely slip a socket over. I then welded the socket in place and used a breaker bar to unscrew the bolt. The socket is shot but when the bolt has to come out or you end up having to cut the bed of a truck around it, it was worth a try. Between the torch heat and the welded on socket, the bolt did unscrew out and did not damage anything else around it.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
Mig weld a nut onto thepiece sticking out or whatever is left. The heat losens thebolt threads and the grab the nut with a wrench. Motordoc

·
Registered
68 Posts
snap on makes sockets for that. they are called turbo sockets. dont know if you can buy them separately or if you have to buy a set. dont know if craftsman makes something like that or not. if you have a local snap on dealer i would check with them. not cheap bbut will do what youre asking. hope this helps. robin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts