Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone has a recipe for bismuth. I would like to load some duck loads in 10 and 12 ga. Thanks

·
Banned
715 Posts
Here's one recipe I started with and it does a good job ..... Fed Gm , Win 209 , 29.5 grs Longshot , Fed 12S4 , 1 1/8' oz of 4's , 8 grs of Buffer ....1330 / 9900 psi ......I like it thru a IM (.025) choke
RotoMetals Bismuth is what I use .

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
FF213F86-035F-452E-BB6E-26C7B1179091.jpeg
Hodgdon has some good loads listed on their site: Hodgdon Reloading | Home
If you hadn’t used their site before ...... you will find the bismuth loads when you select the brand of shell (step 2)

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
896 Posts
Check out Ballistic Products, they have lots of reloading data for all types of shot including bismuth.
--------Including some alternative Non-Tox shot besides steel. I upland hunt with older SxS shotguns and steel is not suitable. When Bismuth became available I started hand loading with it because of compatibility with older gun barrels AND it was closer in density to lead than that of steel. Now there are some alternative types of Non-Tox shot that approaches density even closer to than that of lead and also some that exceeds it. Ballistic Products also sells it as "ITX" and is available in multiple densities. It may be similar to that shot used in Kent "Tungsten Matrix".

·
Banned
715 Posts
--------Including some alternative Non-Tox shot besides steel. I upland hunt with older SxS shotguns and steel is not suitable. When Bismuth became available I started hand loading with it because of compatibility with older gun barrels AND it was closer in density to lead than that of steel. Now there are some alternative types of Non-Tox shot that approaches density even closer to than that of lead and also some that exceeds it. Ballistic Products also sells it as "ITX" and is available in multiple densities. It may be similar to that shot used in Kent "Tungsten Matrix".
You certainly are right , with modern Bismuth at 6% Tin it does a wonderful job because it is 9.6 g/cc compared to Steel shots 7.8 g/cc ! The other choices that are closer to Lead , you speck of , is 10.2 g/cc .
there's only one difference when adding more density to your loads.......price per pound so , We have options , kill'em or murder'em......hehee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts