Trapshooters Forum banner

Rotator cuff surgery

1235 Views 23 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Gary Waalkes
I am scheduled to have arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery on Jan 18. Anyone have any ideas how long before I can shoot again?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
21,609 Posts
Probably about 3 months. That's the way it was for me. Be sure and do your exercises or it will take longer. Good luck with it.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
I shoot right handed & had first rotator surgery on my right shoulder...........took about 3 months before I could shoot again......I had worried about the recoil but the real difficulty that I faced at first was getting the gun mount complete to my face.

· Registered
94 Posts
I had my surgery first week of July on my right shoulder, I shoot right handed. I was back shooting the first week of October. The surgery was not the nightmare everyone told me about, actually I never used any of the pain medications that were given to me until I started Rehab. So thats my story-----Listen to everything the doctor tells you and you will be fine. Take one pain pill before rehab and do everything they tell you at rehab. It's going to hurt and when you first start wall crawls your going to think you are do for but before long you will have full range of motion.
As stated above it takes about a year for full range and no discomfort.

· Registered
78 Posts
I have had two rotator cuff surgeries (non-arthroscopic) and a bicep tendon reattachment. The fact that your surgery will be is encouraging but far from a determinate of how extensive your rehabilitation and recovery will be. I highly recommend that you get a nerve block in your neck and as stated work the physical therapy plan faithfully. Range of motion will be carefully measured and cannot be restored without your dedicated efforts. Strength gradually comes along on its own. You may not be able to return to shooting as you wish but readiness will return in its own time. I have learned that doctors and physical therapists can ONLY TREAT - the body HEALS on its unique schedule.

· Registered
Krieghoff K-80s
3,304 Posts
I have had two rotator cuff surgeries (non-arthroscopic) and a bicep tendon reattachment. The fact that your surgery will be is encouraging but far from a determinate of how extensive your rehabilitation and recovery will be. I highly recommend that you get a nerve block in your neck and as stated work the physical therapy plan faithfully. Range of motion will be carefully measured and cannot be restored without your dedicated efforts. Strength gradually comes along on its own. You may not be able to return to shooting as you wish but readiness will return in its own time. I have learned that doctors and physical therapists can ONLY TREAT - the body HEALS on its unique schedule.
Spot on!

· Registered
6,479 Posts
If you do the PT and a bit more you should shorten the time it takes to get back to shooting. I had 5 surgeries on my left shoulder which included two replacments. I did the PT and a bit more, then started shooting after two months, shot a .410 it was fun and helped me heal. That said ask your surgeon first.

· Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Jon Reitz is correct. Doing it right is a year. If it is just Arthroscopic might shoot little sooner, but if he sees he has to cut you once he gets in there it will be a year for sure. Keey is rehab and do it at home also and not just at the rehab clinic. If he stitches you inside, will take 18months for them to completely dissolve.

· Registered
161 Posts
It really depends on what they need to do to repair the shoulder. I am a Physical Therapist and had a right shoulder arthroscopic repair where they had to reattach 2 muscles from rotator cuff. Good for all of you who returned in 2 months. I was in a sling for 6 weeks and then could not progress to active movement for another month. I say it is better to be safe and cautious as having to go back and repair something you may have damaged from returning too quickly never turns out as well.
My Surgeon and I discussed this and I actually waited 6 months, thank god mostly fall/winter in New England so wasn't so bad. I am glad I went slow as I really have not had any pain since the rehab. As much as I love shooting I have seen too many failed repairs or re injuries that I never wanted that to happen as I do use my shoulder for other activities.

Good Luck with your surgery

Nancy

· Registered
1,004 Posts
from 3 - 9 months. I've had both shoulders repaired, still trying to get the left side working, from surgery Nov. 12. Had the right shoulder repaired in 2016, it was tore up pretty badly, that took 9-full months (before i pulled a trigger).

Matt Nicol

· Registered
520 Posts
I have two rotator cuff repairs and eventually a left shoulder replacement . The repairs I was back in about 8 weeks . The replacement left shoulder , right handed shooter took about 3months not because of mobility but lack of strength , took some exercise .
a lot will depend on what he has to fix , many degrees of repair .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.