Trapshooters Forum banner

Rotating hulls

3100 Views 31 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  RRisumshake a lrg
Since you don’t tumble hulls like metallic cartridges during the reloading process, I’ve fallen into reloading the hulls that I just shot.

Do you rotate your hulls? If so, how? Do you use them repeatedly until they are done or do you rotate them?

Since I’ve “discovered” the clays sports, that’s what I primarily shoot now. Curious as to what others do.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
When I started reloading my research indicated that Remington STS were a good choice. I initially bought a thousand rounds of factory and then shot them all before reloading any of them. I later bought a trash can of once fired STS from a fellow club member, but I still do the same. Load a thousand, shoot them all, reload again. When I start seeing splits in the hull mouth I shoot them one more time and dispose of them, then start with a new batch of once fired hulls. I generally get at least a dozen load cycles from each batch of once fired hulls.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

· Registered
58 Posts
I keep mine in 5 gallon buckets and stack the two high and across. As I load them I take from the right, as I fill used hulls, the full buckets go on the bottom left. When I take a new bucket everything shifts. It is not a perfect system, but I am not loading the same shells over and over and others not getting loaded at all. New hulls picked up at the range get cycled in with old ones. If I get 8-10 loads per hull, it will take a long time to get them to that point.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
When I started reloading my research indicated that Remington STS were a good choice. I initially bought a thousand rounds of factory and then shot them all before reloading any of them. I later bought a trash can of once fired STS from a fellow club member, but I still do the same. Load a thousand, shoot them all, reload again. When I start seeing splits in the hull mouth I shoot them one more time and dispose of them, then start with a new batch of once fired hulls. I generally get at least a dozen load cycles from each batch of once fired hulls.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
I’ve pretty much had to quit shooting/reloading but I always had at least 40 flats on hand in the springtime. I’d shoot and put the empties in a big trash can for second and subsequent firings and a 2x2x3 ft box for once fired. Load them all over the winter, January mostly, and stack them in the shell room. Crispy case mouth? Throw it out. Funky crimp? Shoot it and pitch it. Funny thing about those funky crimp shells was they never missed a target. Split case? Pitch it. Soot ring around primer? Pitch it. Cases are one thing that you should never worry about. Have enough that you don’t need to worry about losing one or a dozen.

Reactions: 6541

· Registered
36,877 Posts
Some rotate, some shoot shells until they have to put tape over the crimp, some once and done. I used to mark my hulls each time I reloaded them. One should always inspect hulls for cracks and splits before reloading, even new hulls.

Simplest thing I use now, which I have posted perhaps too many times is as I resize the hull in my MEC Super Sizer, I pinch the mouth if the hull as I remove it. If resistance of the case mouth on pinching it is weak, I toss it. I keep a new hull on my bench to use as a reference on the amount of resistance I am looking for.

· Registered
7,238 Posts
I reload them about two or three times, then bring them to ATA shoots and let them fly. Some twice fired may hit the ground, maybe some get 4 or 5 reloads. Who cares, I am never going to run out. Buy factory premium for shooting handicap and save those. One day you too will have enough to not care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banned
1,793 Posts
Depends on your personality and maybe how "hull rich" you are. I know, from others and my own experience, that performance wise a Remington hull can easily be loaded 6, 8 or even 10 times. But I'm hull rich enough that I can afford to be picky about looks.

Reloads from once-fired Rems look brand spanking new ... that's what I compete with. On the second reloading, I may get 80-90 that are pretty enough to almost pass for new and I'll compete with them as well. But 10-20 out of 100 may be sooty enough that I box them up as practice loads. So I'll compete with once or twice fired hulls, but after 3 or 4 loadings fired hulls get tossed.

As for rotating, I'll load up 500 once-fired hulls and use the above routine until I'm down to 150 or so competition quality rounds then introduce another couple hundred once-fired hulls.

· Registered
239 Posts
I keep a batch of around 500 hulls together reloading them over and over. With the Remington (Nitro and STS) I reload them until I start to see multiple hulls with splits. Then I toss that batch and start a new one. Typically easily get 10 plus loads out of the Remington hulls using 1 oz. loads.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
I make a quick inspection of my hulls as I am throwing them in the bin and throw out the bad ones and mark the ones that are going to get tossed after one more loading. As I box things up the ugly ones also get the mark to be pitched after this firing.

I load all four gauges and doing the rotation thing seems like more work.

· Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I am hull rich so never have to worry about running out . I do my "Culling" on the line , so I set down to good reloadable hulls . I shoot the same ones over and over until used up . I know I could have possibly reloaded discarded hulls one more time but life is too short to worry about used up hulls.

· Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I have about 20000 once fired AA . 7000 + reloaded 3-6 time I am currently loading. I have a bucket I put the ones that don't crimp well I use for practice. And toss them. I check my hulls when I put each one I will wipe down to remove dirt and residue. I check them as I box them.
Steve

· Registered
4,780 Posts
I load mine once and toss. Other shooters at my club are always telling me that they can be reloaded more than once, When you have about 30,000 once fired empties you don't need to load more than once.

· Registered
3,054 Posts
When I was shooting 100 singles,100 caps and 100 doubles on a regular bases.
STS for singles and 1st shot doubles; Nitro for caps and 2nd shot doubles.
I would start with a batch of 300 STS and 300 Nitro hulls. I would cull out the bad hulls before loading. When I am down to the last about the last 150 of either I'll reload one last time and dump them all and start a new batch.

Jason

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.