Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the difference between Preliminary week and Grand week? I am new to ATA and going to shoot Tuscon.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Preliminary week is just that....the days of shooting prior to the grand program events. Might not be quite as many shooters, but the numbers will probably be close in Tucson, since many of the shooters are already there to spend the winter. Trophies are not usually sponsored by the ATA, the club gives out trophies. The targets are registered the same as grand week. If you are new to the club, its a good way to experience the differences in the traps, Tucson has a long trapline.
Tucson is filled with great folks, just don't speed in the parking lot and you will be very welcome.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
I am new to ATA and going to shoot Tuscon.
Welcome to the wonderful world of clay target competition. Try to relax, enjoy your experience and HAVE FUN.

I'll share with you something that was said to me by one of the finest shotgun shooters I've ever known...."Clay target shooting is a journey where you never arrive at your destination, so enjoy the trip!"

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
Are there any qualification requirements for either of these two events?
Just being an ATA member.

There are target minimums to avoid penalty class and penalty yardage.

Targets shot during Preliminary Week can be used to satisfy the minimums for Grand Week.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The Autumn Grand has the reputation of usually having the best weather of all their shoots. The Spring Grand in Feb can be any kind of weather from hot to cold to windy/sandy to snow to just perfectly wonderful, sometimes with something for everyone on different days. I like the feel of the Tucson club in that it combines the clubhouse of years past with a new up to date trapline and campground.
The folks there try hard to make it a great event, enough your trip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts