Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SKB I bought has a long neon green front sight. I was thinking about changing it to a small white bead. My thought is If it doesn't stand out so much I will have less of a tendency to look at it? Am I correct in my thinking? Thank you for your input and advise. Good shooting.
Kevin

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Although you don't focus on the bead, there is a bird/bead relationship, in your vision. You will notice this if you ever shoot at night, when the range doesn't have good lighting on the pad. Use the beads to mount your gun correctly, then focus on the target. If you find yourself changing your focus back to the bead, then consider changing it. I shoot guns with all sorts of beads, and I really couldn't tell you which gun has which kind, without looking at them.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,741 Posts
Mark has the right idea in my opinion. Mine are the smallest possible, and blacked out with flat black nail polish. Like Mark says, use 'em to be sure the gun mount is "square" then you don't want to see them again. If you do, expect to hear "lost".

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
The answer depends partially on if you are right or left eye dominant. If you are right handed and your left eye is dominant you need to block your left eye from seeing the bead.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I tried red, green and white. Took a class with Nora Ross and she said basically what you said, the colors draw your attention. After my first day of class I went home and put the small white sight on the front of my barrels. My gun came with a small brass mid bead. The white front sight is still on my barrels.

·
Registered
703 Posts
plain white bead. my gun originally came with the light pipes, and i gave them an honest try for a year. once in a while, the sun would hit that thing just right and it would light up like the sun. instantly drawing my attention away from the target.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Browning Superposed I started with has a metal mid-bead and an ivory front bead. My Zoli is the same. When I first began shooting I checked the bead alignment when I mounted the gun to ensure that they were aligned laterally and that I saw the "proper" amount of rib between them. I practiced my mount religiously and these days I seldom even look at the beads when mounting and shooting. Of course, the beads and barrel are visible in my peripheral vision and after the shot I can tell you what they looked like in relation to the clay, but I don't focus on that. I simply look hard at the bird and shoot it. If I think too much about what it looks like I almost always miss.

So, to answer your initial question, I guess I prefer the setup I currently have. I suspect that some kind of fluorescent front bead would draw my eye to it instead of focusing on the bird.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

·
Registered
239 Posts
Front white bead with metal mid bead used to check alignment during gun mount.

If I get sloppy in my concentration when shooting, the white bead can be a distraction.

I use a sight blinder to mitigate that issue, others simply blacken the bead with a marker like a Sharpie.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I bought a BT-99, white center bead and hi-viz green at the end. At first (not long) I looked at the green but as I mounted the gun I focused less and less on the sight and concentrated on mount and the bird. I would try it the way it is currently set up and see how it works for you. If you are not satisfied, change one thing at a time. Good luck!

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,814 Posts
Small white bead. Mid bead doesn't matter to me. I'll black out front bead when shooting at night using a dry erase marker that I carry in my case.
When shooting at night, the bead looks like a dinner plate. Blacking it really helps keep it from being a distraction and the glare off the lights gives just enough to know it's there when mounting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Before you change your current sight black it out with a black marker and give it a try. I found that it helped youth shooters that are drawn to the front sight due to the brightness of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Standard white bead for me. But always keep in mind that if you are seeing the bead clearly, you are not focusing on the target. Bead should be there, but not be a distraction that pulls your eyes off the target.

Just my opinion.
Tom

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The SKB I bought has a long neon green front sight. I was thinking about changing it to a small white bead. My thought is If it doesn't stand out so much I will have less of a tendency to look at it? Am I correct in my thinking? Thank you for your input and advise. Good shooting.
Kevin
I would say go for it, change from the long bright green sight to a smaller white bead.

It doesn't take much time or energy to remove that big bright thing on the end of your barrel that is between your eye and the target that you need to focus on.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts