Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any data/studies that determine if velocity/pressure is a constant when the variable is wad and hull length prior to rolling the crimp?

FYI, I received my first Covid-19 vaccine today and am coming out of isolation/hibernation/quarantine!

· Banned
794 Posts
What?? Not sure I understand. You introduce more than one variable and then ask if they matter...

Roll crimps will GENERALLY produce lower pressures. Pressure and velocity are not necessarily related nor correlate. Velocity is a function of powder burn, and if it burns all at once you get a lot of pressure. If it burns a little slower then you don't, but you get the same velocity (all generalizations here so please...). Fast burning powders are good for lead and other compressible shot. So not steel which must have a slower burn. Wads change pressure. Primers change pressure. Hulls change pressure. Crimps change pressure. Powder changes pressure.... There is a lot of data on various wads.

If you wanna roll crimp trap loads... why? No need. If you wanna roll crimp hunting loads there are many good reasons to, but few "well you gotta because" reasons to. If you have a specific wad/hull question post it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.