Trapshooters Forum banner

rock salt load.

4907 Views 40 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  flashmax
Anyone loaded up any rock salt loads? Want to load some up for a friend.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
it pulverizes the salt on ignition of the powder and comes out as dust anyways. What is your friend wanting to salt. A dog.? Results is a Salty Dog and jail ... I agree with Skeetman
I’ve wondered if buffer might keep it from pulverizing but never wondered enough to try it.

· Registered
199 Posts
When I was a kid a friend of mine had a Grampa that got tired of his cow getting in his garden and shot her with a load of rock salt; only problem was that in humid country the salt had solidified and killed the cow.. Be careful.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
When I was a very young kid, my friend and I would ride our mini bikes on some wooded property owned by “Mr. Kingsley ”. The myth was that old man Kingsley would walk his woods every so often whenever he heard engines and if he could get eyes on you, he’d unload his rock-salt shots on your butt if he had the chance. We were petrified of Mr Kingsley. I never saw, heard from or met the man. Those old woods are rows of condominiums since the 1980’s.

· Registered
104 Posts
When I was a kid, 1959, I used a Lee loader & loaded half a dozen 12ga. Shells with ice cream rock salt. The idea was to scare off feral cats raiding our trash barrel. I fired one shot & dispatched one tom cat. I was afraid my mom would find out, so I promptly decided to burn the trash barrel which I usually had to be reminded several times to do. Cannot remember what the load was, but quite sure it was the same recipe I used to reload # 71/2 shot for quail & red legged partridge (chukars) in the California foothills.

· Registered
1,843 Posts
You need Lawrence Magnum Rock Salt !! lol. I tried loading the rock salt that you use to make Ice cream years ago and it would pretty much turn into powder when it left the barrel. I even cut the powder charge so much that the wad would just barely clear the barrel . Now if you took some from a salt lick it might hold up better but I think the stories about being shot with rock salt at the watermelon patch were just that,,, Stories

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.