Trapshooters Forum banner

Rizzini Vertex vs. Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon vs. Fabarm ELOS N2 Allsport

6844 Views 19 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  gcbailey
So these are the three I am considering...for trap and sporting clays. I'm a newbie and not very good, but I am hooked! They all have 32" barrels and extended chokes. The Rizinni has adj comb and butt plate. The Beretta 686 has no adjust-ability...other than the recoil pad size. The Fabarm has adj comb and rib. I see there are many more 686s out there than Rizinni or Fabarm. I guess there is probably a good reason for that, but any info would sure help. I've not shot any of them. I can shoot the 686 at my local sporting clays (rental), but not the other two.

Or...Should I be looking at Winchester, Weatherby, or Browning???

The K guns, Perazzi, etc...are out of my budget!!

Thank you. Need some help from the ones that know........
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
13,538 Posts
Or...Should I be looking at Winchester, Weatherby, or Browning???
The two biggest target shotgun makers in the past have always been Beretta and Browning.

You need to shoulder both models. Close your eyes and mount the shotgun. Get the recoil pad to fit in a good spot on your shoulder. Then get your face in a good spot on the stock. Now open your eyes. You want the buy the shotgun where the beads line up as perfectly stacked as possible. You also want to consider comfort in the gun while mounted.

Most shooters will prefer one of these two brands of shotguns. Only you can decide which fits you the best. The best shotgun to shoot is the one that fits you the best out of the box.
Yes, you can install a adjustable comb and a adjustable butt plate to make either shotgun fit you. But the one that feels the most comfortable to start with? Is the one to buy. Then you can get your new shotgun fitted to you. You may need one or both of the items I suggested. Of course you may get lucky and have a perfect fit out of the box?

Forget the Weatherby and the Winchester brands IMO.

I wish I could help you more on the Fabarm and the Rizinni shotguns. But I have never even shouldered either one of these shotguns. I will say--- I have not heard anything great about either. Nor, have I heard anything horrible about either. IMO Browning's are by far the biggest bang for your buck today for a new shotgun. You can get a Browning for 2 grand. If you want a good Beretta, or a CG Summit shotgun you'll pay closer to 4 grand!!! Only you can decide weather the fit difference between the two??? is worth dang near 2 grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The biggest part of your Journey into the clay target sports is picking out your own shotgun. I can't do it for Ya. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

· Registered
6 Posts
The two biggest target shotgun makers in the past have always been Beretta and Browning.

You need to shoulder both models. Close your eyes and mount the shotgun. Get the recoil pad to fit in a good spot on your shoulder. Then get your face in a good spot on the stock. Now open your eyes. You want the buy the shotgun where the beads line up as perfectly stacked as possible. You also want to consider comfort in the gun while mounted.

Most shooters will prefer one of these two brands of shotguns. Only you can decide which fits you the best. The best shotgun to shoot is the one that fits you the best out of the box.
Yes, you can install a adjustable comb and a adjustable butt plate to make either shotgun fit you. But the one that feels the most comfortable to start with? Is the one to buy. Then you can get your new shotgun fitted to you. You may need one or both of the items I suggested. Of course you may get lucky and have a perfect fit out of the box?

Forget the Weatherby and the Winchester brands IMO.

I wish I could help you more on the Fabarm and the Rizinni shotguns. But I have never even shouldered either one of these shotguns. I will say--- I have not heard anything great about either. Nor, have I heard anything horrible about either. IMO Browning's are by far the biggest bang for your buck today for a new shotgun. You can get a Browning for 2 grand. If you want a good Beretta, or a CG Summit shotgun you'll pay closer to 4 grand!!! Only you can decide weather the fit difference between the two??? is worth dang near 2 grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The biggest part of your Journey into the clay target sports is picking out your own shotgun. I can't do it for Ya. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff
Thank you. All really good info/feedback. I've always thought of Browning as a field gun, but I will check them out. Sounds like, regarding the Beretta, I would need to look at 694 ($4k) vs 686 ($2K)?! And if Browning is $2k less than 690....Browning will get the green light. But....I'll shoulder them both and see how they feel.

· Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Browning makes a bunch of different versions of target shotguns.
I see you're new here, use the search function and start reading about all the " looking for a new gun" threads and similar stuff like that and you will see that most guys will steer you towards a Browning..
If you look below this it will also show relevant threads and each one of those will have more under them... You can read for days...

· Registered
4,172 Posts
A, ditch the Beretta. My Rizzini's barrels perfectly regulated and the chokes all shoot to the same POI. NONE of my five Beretta barrels could say that, and only two out of the six supplied choke tubes shot to the same POI in the same barrel.

Can't help you with the Fabarms, but I hear good things about them. The advice given above to actually shoulder the various guns is solid. I did just that. That's why I know that for me, the Rizzini is balanced and swings like my Perazzi did. By comparison, all the Brownings felt like I was swinging a log. I did shoulder a Fabarms, but probably not the one you are considering. It was years ago. It felt good and appeared very well made.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ZZT! Thanks for the info. I do want to shoulder everything. Looks like I will have to travel a few hundred miles and 3 states to do so:) OK, bit of an exaggeration, but I will have to log a few miles to accomplish. If anybody knows where I can shoulder all 1,2,....5 guns at one location, I'm all ears:

Rizzini Vertex, Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon, Fabarm ELOS N2 Allsport, Beretta 690, Browning Citori 725 Pro Sport.

Also...I feel I need a pretty big "drop". Why? Long neck, tall face (meaning big head, but not a pumpkin..more tall than wide). Oh ya, long arms to. I have to buy Tall suits. Does that make sense? In order for me to see right down the barrel of my Silver Reserve, I have to place only the toe of the stock in my shoulder. Or would a raised rib help?!

Sincerely,

Quasimodo

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
Well Joe at least he asked the question on the right site. Not on the dark side. He’s starting out ok. Most newbies ask about trap guns.
Edit: Browning or Beretta either one will work. I shoot a Beretta, because it fits. Silver pigeon III 687 Etchen special. XTrap I’ve had several Brownings. Just didn’t fit me well. By the way both of my barrels on the Beretta are regulated.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Joe at least he asked the question on the right site. Not on the dark side. He’s starting out ok. Most newbies ask about trap guns.
Edit: Browning or Beretta either one will work. I shoot a Beretta, because it fits. Silver pigeon III 687 Etchen special. XTrap I’ve had several Brownings. Just didn’t fit me well. By the way both of my barrels on the Beretta are regulated.
Thanks Chief! I will be shouldering them all over the next week, week and a half. Found some great folks (albeit on another forum) who are pretty close and have offered to let me try their guns. Only missing one (the Fabarm). I'm excited to try them .. and get some tips on shooting at the same time. I'll let you know how it goes!

· Registered
585 Posts
for what it's worth...
I went out to Gipson's Fine Guns in Sparta with every intention of buying a Browning CXT. Karen suggested I look at the Fabarm.
I came home with a Fabarm AllSport Elos N2. The fit and finish was noticeably better to me. The changeable rib is what sold me.

good luck!

Todd

· Registered
718 Posts
As others have stated, try them on and see which feels best. For whatever reason, Brownings have never felt right on me, but I can pick up any Beretta and hit with it. For that reason, all my go to hunting and shooting sports guns are Berettas. One of my friends says Brownings feel most right to him. Different body builds and gun builds. Some feel right, other won’t.

If you are new to shooting, I personally recommend going for a good second hand shotgun. If you decide the sport isn’t for you (hopefully you are addicted as you seem to be), then you can most likely make your money back. If you are fully in, I would purchase the gun that you love most and have it stocked to fit you. Obviously this is expensive, but it is worth every penny. I hate adjustable stocks (personal preference) and having a gun that was made for you is incredible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.