Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been using Rio 1oz. 7-1/2 target loads. Why, because you can purchase the for $50 bucks per flat. Rio offers a large number of loads as does Estate for the same price. Wondering how many of you use either brand. No mind you, when I see a special on premium brands, I'm all there, but that's a rare occurrence!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Can't beat the price, but sometimes Rois can be iffy in some guns. Haven't shot Estates in years. I never seen them for sale in this area.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Slug, Does it really matter much, how many others use those shells. Hey, if their working for You, and Your Happy with their performance. Then, that's what matters, they break birds like the rest...

I have and do occasionally use those. Seems like card shoots always or most always chose those rascals for the shoot. One drawback though that I've found with those flimsy made hulls is, If your a RELOADER, they are by no means a good choice. If your asking, my 2 cents would be for the Remington Gun Clubs.

Have Fun and Enjoy

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I have used Estate shells (both the red&tan as well as the white boxes).
I have NEVER had ANY problem with either. The red & tan boxes are Federal Top
Gun loads. The White Boxes are made in France but perform and burn incredibly
clean. I have not tried RIOS yet.
Many of the OFF-BRANDS stick in my chamber and have to be removed with a
wad knocker.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I shoot a lot of Rio's - one pallet a year. 1-oz 1210 and the elites in 1oz 1200 or 1250. I literally had my first miss fire of an elite in my blaser two weeks ago after at least 60 cases thru this gun. Primer was set too deep upon inspection and would not fire out of the top or bottom barrel on the F3. Wife shot a 391 and now an A400 and doesn't have any issue. The Estates were dirtier in her auto and required more vigilant cleaning . I think that the Estates STINK

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shot with a couple at the club this last weekend. He forgot his normal rounds fiocchi. The club sells Rios he bought a flat to shoot with. He had a problem, shells not going off in bottom barrel. I said looks like time for a new firing pin. I've never had a problem before must be cheap shells. After the round was over I asked him to show me his gun. Guess what, it was pitted on end in need of replacement. Primer must be a bit harder then the fiocchi. His wife used them in her gun shot a 25,24,24 so I don't think theres anything wrong with them at all. Ive never used them because like Brent I grab the Gun Clubs because I reload.

Red

·
Registered
853 Posts
We use Rios and like them. We also use Herter's (Cabelos House Brand) and Winchester White Box. The Winchester's seem to be fouling my wife's screw in choke tube with lots of plastic, but I am not having any problem in my Winchester 101 over and under that has fixed chokes.

I have never bought Estates. We are not shooting any real matches, mostly 16 yard practice, a couple of times at wobble trap and a couple of times at doubles. I am about to try all of the above in Skeet which is new to us using my hunting gun - a Citori with screw in chokes. We will see how that goes.

I am not good enough at trap yet (average 20-23) to see any difference at the 16 yard line between any of them as far as hitting. When I miss it is always my fault.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Don't shoot a lot of "new" shells but of the new ones I have used the only ones that I had issues with were (the promo stuff) Win. & NS. Best ones were GCs with Fed TGs next. JME--- Ross Puls

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I don't think there's a great deal of difference in the two. I've shot both. I suspect the one that's on sale at a great price, is the one that most guys buy.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Rio's on sale down here this week as well. break em all Jeff

I'd rather shoot the Estate's myself. I just can't find them at all, at any price. I don't want to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have shot thousands of Estate shells in a variety of loads, including 12 gauge trap, skeet, and high velocity hunting loads and subgauge skeet loads. I have used them for both practice and tournaments when Gold Medals were not available. I think very highly of Estates, especially at a great price!

Shoot well,
Mallory

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
WAlmart has been stocking Estates and is selling them by the box or flat. Plenty in stock. $5.48.
I like the one ounce, 1180fps for
16 yard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Estates and Top Guns are what work the best for me. Nothing wrong with Rios, I am just a Federal guy.

DC

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like estates for 28 gauge...they reload great for many reloads. Rios I have use a couple of times, I prefer Gun clubs if I have to buy factory ammo. Gun club hulls reload great as well. Sorry I am reloader for the most part no matter what it coast me.

·
Registered
15,378 Posts
Lately I've been using Rio 1oz. 7-1/2 target loads. Why, because you can purchase the for $50 bucks per flat. Rio offers a large number of loads as does Estate for the same price. Wondering how many of you use either brand. No mind you, when I see a special on premium brands, I'm all there, but that's a rare occurrence!
Tanfastic! Please share where you are getting them at $50 a flat.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts