Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand rimfire ammunition do not last as long as centerfires because of the cartridge design, with the powder in direct contact with the priming compound. Can anybody steer me to an informative article on this topic? Can't find anything on it in the internet. Thanks.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
As long as rimfire ammo is kept dry and relatively cool, it will last decades. Moisture, heat and extreme cold are to be avoided.

Ammo cans of various sizes WITH GOOD GASKET SEALS will solve the moisture problem.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,490 Posts
I shot 3000 rounds of .22 ammo that I purchased in the 1970's and 1980's. I did not notice any problems. I wish i could replace it for the $6.50 to $9.00 per brick that I paid for it!

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
742 Posts
I still have some Remington hollow points from about 1950 that go off every time. Sitting right next to them on the shelf is some Lapua Dominator that started blooping and misfiring after about 10 years. You pays your money and takes your chances.

·
Registered
808 Posts
When stored right .22LR will out last the owner. I have bought some at farm sales that I was pretty sure by the look of the box was stored in the home, never a problem. If the box looks like it was stored in the outbuildings I usually pass.

Truck gloveboxes are a poor place to store .22. I had some CCI Blazers that I had left in our old sprayer truck. When we sold the truck I cleaned out everything including the forgotten ammo. Some of them shot fine, some shot slow and some went pfffft. I expect the heat after 4 or 5 years did them in more than anything since they never got wet.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have had brand new .22 rimfire ammo that had numerous duds and weak sounding shots but on the other hand, I still have a few cartons of Peters standard vel ammo from the 50's that is completely consistent and reliable.

If its good ammo today, keep it dry and at room temp and it will last for as long as you might need it.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
22 Rem Autoloading, wow, there's an old, obsolete, collector cartridge. I have a couple of examples in my cartridge collection. What are you shooting them from, an old Rem Model 16?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just finished testing some Western Super X made in the 40s. Same box as GW22 has pictured second row second from bottom. Used a Winchester model 61 and a Remington model 13S sporter. Below zero temps and the results were perfect. Accurate ammo not a flaw and the stuff smelled like it should. Glad I have around 10 bricks of the stuff.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
With all the stuff that's being bought and hoarded the buyers better hope it stores well,
I'm sure most of that stuff they have sitting on their shelves will eventually be tossed out when their great grandkids have no idea what it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts