Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, pretty new shooter out here in NJ. I am naturally right hand shooter, but left eye dominant...I have been shooting righty with my left eye closed (Rifle style) struggling to average 16 hits per round. Been suggested to switch to lefty shooting and keep both eyes open. Is this a normal approach to improve my skills? thanks.
Charles Daly Superior Grade OU 12G

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
How left eye dominant are you? And how ambidextrus are you? Switching shoulders isn't the only solution, you might also try the ol' scotch tape on the left lense of your shooting glasses trick.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much shooting have you done? If you are relatively new to shooting & shooting lefty is moderately awkward (relative term), then switch. If fairly experienced shooting, rifles or otherwise, then use tape, chapstick, etc, to occlude the left eye. Check out posts & responses by Phil Kiner here on TS & his website for more guidance.

Switching will feel awkward at first, but may be worth it in the long run. Yet, there are a lot of one-eyed shooters. Either way, shooting is a game of consistency, repetition, and comfort. Find what works & polish it.

-Matt

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
A problem with my right eye forced me to switch to lefty after over 60 years of shooting righty. It took a little time but I am back to where I was before switching. The funny part is coordinating the hand movements of loading and removing the spent shells etc.. It is really quite funny dodging ejected hulls because you did not have your hands in the right place.

I have met several people who have switched like KcKissic, the Optomitrist from PA. He made it to the 27 as have others I met.

Where do you shoot in NJ?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I am sure Ray McKissik could tell you stories on his efforts.
I would recommend you start with Ruger 10/22 and much ammo.

Joe Woods/Ontario

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am right handed and left eye dominant. I went from one eyed rt. to one eyed left then both eyes open left. I have left handed stocks on my guns, spent 20 yr.s on the 27 and close to 400,000 registered. The biggest improvement was going to both eyes open. It took several months to start seeing the improvement, just don't vacillate, make the change and stick to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your feedback. I am very left eye Dom, fair to good switch handed pool player. Shot a 16 Sunday lefty both eyes open, followed it up with a 10 I think. Teaching your hands and trigger finger to all be in position was interesting :) Have a right handed stock on my Daly, will that make a difference or just a comfort thing?

·
Banned
958 Posts
The good news is that you are a beginner. Trust yourself,switch sides and work hard. Get a gun that fits you on the left side so that you don't cant your head over the stock.Both eyes open is the best solution, so keep going in this direction.
Good luck!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I never could get consistent until I had a left handed stock. I put adjustable combs and butt plates on several guns but it never came together until the left stock. It also made for a more comfortable gun to shoot. Finding a left hand stock for a Daly might be tough. Beretta has factory left stocks available and trading might be the financially expedient way to go. My Wenig lefty was over $1500 for the set 4 years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys I have been at it a couple of weeks and have become more comfortable and proficient shooting lefty. Hit 18 my new high switch handed, wish had more time for another round!! I feel I'm starting to see my sight picture more clearly. Next week may be another story!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great to hear that things are getting more comfortable. Again, it's a game of repetition & consistency. The repetition will lead to comfort, which builds consistency.

Good luck & shoot straight!
-Matt

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I'm a lefty also that grew up in a right handed world. I had a lot of trouble with things like learning to write, hitting a baseball etc. because the people trying to teach me how to do those things insisted that I learned to do them right handed. Shooting is more of my own thing that I just learned as I went and I started out shooting left handed because it just seemed easier.

It is important that you get the gun lined up with your dominate eye and not just so you can be a two eyed shooter. Switching gun sides really is not that difficult and will go pretty quickly if you just keep after it. I learned how to shoot right handed with both handgun and long gun several years ago so I could be competitive in the duelist class of SASS and win a few side bets with weak side shooting. Granted right hand shooting is more difficult for me but I can do it and it was far from impossible to get comfortable with it.

For your transition period, I would look for a shotgun with neutral pitch meaning the stock lines up with the bore. A regular old 870 Wingmaster field gun would be a good starting point. Later on you will probably want a bit of cast on if you do make the transition to left handed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts