Right Handed and Left Eye Dominate | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Right Handed and Left Eye Dominate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JimmyDee, Jun 30, 2020.

1. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Member

I know that this subject is probably thread bare from over discussion. My shooting style is closing my left eye and become a one eyed shooter, which for the most part works fairly well. But I am curious if anyone is Rt handed and left eyed dominate and shoots well with both eyes open.

I am asking this question because I tried it yesterday and was hitting the targets really good until it came to hard rights or hard lefts. For those of you that have the same disease as I do, the second part of my question is, is it worth staying with it long enough to try and conquer the hard lefts and rights or is it even possible?

Thank you,
    JimD

2. 2600jamest

2600jamest TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm right handed and left eye dominate but I shoot a shotgun and rifle left handed, with both eyes open. You can switch, many shooters have done it.

Wass and INKem thanked this.
  3. blackandgold

blackandgold Well-Known Member

I am a sporting guy who is learning ATA trap. I have the same "disease" you do and can hit both right to left and left to right:

Chandelles (looper)
    Quartering
    Crossing
    Rabbits
    Rabbues
    Teals
    Crows
    Battues
    Trap
    Incoming
    Rockets
    Helice/ZZ

All from low gun or high gun. I switched shoulders. So yes, it CAN be worth it but the value is something each shooter has to decide. I could not imagine fighting eye dominance with an occluder dot or any other aid. That can be done and I'm sure shooters do very, very well.

The short answer is that your mileage may vary.

INKem thanked this.
  4. mauserfan

mauserfan Active Member

Jim- I fog my glasses in the area they I look down the barrel but leave the periphery clear so I can pick up targets.....I shoot skeet mostly. What's odd is that on birds, I have no issue and I don't wear glasses.
    Darrel

5. WisconsinBuckeye

WisconsinBuckeye Member

You can experiment with a dab of chapstick on your left lens. Try different sizes of "dabs" and see if it helps.

4th. down thanked this.
  6. kmag

kmag Active Member

The best thing to do is switch to shooting left handed and use both eyes.

I have coached youth for years and I can't tell you how many people fight and fight switching sides. Just do it.

YES, there will always be somebody that can shoot opposite their dominant eye and do it well but for MOST shooters, you're just not going to reach your full potential until you shoot on the side of your dominant eye and with both eyes. Again, this is true for MOST shooters. I didn't say all, I said MOST. There are exceptions.

Wass and pheasantmaster thanked this.
  7. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Most shooters that switch side will still end up cross-firing!!!

Rabbit-hunter, 22hornet, MTA Tom and 7 others thanked this.
  8. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Well-Known Member

I am one of the exceptions. I was told by one of the best shooter,instructor, in the country that i was the most left eye dominant right handed shooter he had ever seen. Switched to left handed and am still a one eyed shooter. See double left handed with both eyes. Shoot same scores off either side one eyed. Drive sporting clay opponents nuts by switching back and forth. Have done well doing this including 7 state titles in sporting clays. Finished tied for 3rd in the world in 20ga. skeet after a big battle with the refs who said i could not do this. High houses left handed and low houses right handed. Shot doubles with whichever side felt best at the time. Bottom line is switch if works for you. If not, do as i did, and just live with it. Gud Luk

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

No, But I'm left handed and right eye dominate. If that counts.

I switched over when I was a young lad. As Phil mentioned above, I do have cross firing issues on some target presentations. With the help of the Sight Blinder on my barrel, and learning to try different hold points I can control my cross firing to a large degree. Its still not perfect, but my two eyed shooting, has come a long way. I left my one eyed shooting in the dust long ago. So its worth switching over in the long run. All I have left is my crossing targets over 40 yards left to work on.

Remember the definition of insanity----To Keep Doing The Same Thing Over and Over again, each time expecting different results!!! break em all jeff

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. cmccoy76

cmccoy76 Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

This was my experience when I tried switching shoulders. I figured if I couldn't trust my vision 100% that I should just shoot one eyed and know my eyes were not the problem. In the long run, being a one eyed shooters may be a handicap. But, for me, I'll never have the time or money to become an All American anyway.

ganger thanked this.
  11. blackandgold

blackandgold Well-Known Member

Some do. My fiancee is one. Her dominance is very weak and cross firing is common. Switching shoulders won't helpnher. We went to Dr. Colo to get us checked. Thankfully, I do not have that issue.

Dr. Colo is neat because in addition to the medical part of the eye exam, he watches you shoot at a nearby range.

More info from a podcast with Dr. Colo:. Behind The Break - The Ultimate Clay Target Podcast: Dr. Richard Colo

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  12. 4th. down

4th. down Well-Known Member

You can say that again. I virtually tried everything, gadgets, dots, etc. and finally a light came on - a little circle of chapstick to cover the end of the muzzle when fully mounted on the inside of the lense of the dominant eye - presto, problem solved. This lets you see the targets clearly in flight with both eyes and as you pull the trigger, your on your right eye if left eye dominant. Been doing this now for over 5 years, works great. After about a flat of shells, you never notice the chapstick dot.

13. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

First question-there has been only one shooter in my five decades of shooting trap that was successful and he was truly successful shooting right shoulder and has a dominant left eye. Atleast he told us he was left eye dominant. But he also had a very unique gun mount that would be difficult for most to achieve.

Now there have been several very successful one eyed shooters.

Second question-no it is not worth the effort because you'll never attain the proficiency using this method that you'll realize with one.

jktphd and cmccoy76 thanked this.
  14. ohata0

ohata0 TS Member

i'm a right handed shooter with left eye dominance. i like to think i'm a decent shooter.

in any case, when i started trapshooting a couple of years ago and started looking for my own gun, i decided that i didn't want to try shooting left handed. i started off with tape on my left eye, so i was kind of a one eyed shooter. i invested in the champion easyhit, but still used the tape until after my first ata tournament.

the easyhit and other similar occluders are either a fiber optic in a tunnel, or are like a wall you attach to your rib which blocks your other eye from seeing the rib. if you have that double vision problem like me (seeing 2 beads and cross firing), using an occluder will help because you can only see one bead.

in the end, i decided i needed to switch to 2 eyes because with the tape i had blind spots. my glasses had etching at the top for the brand name and a rather large nosepiece. if the clay went in either of those directions i would lose track of the clay and have to rush to reacquire.

now that i'm shooting with 2 eyes, it's great. i can hold higher (above the house since i can see "thru" the gun) and i can acquire the target as it's coming out much easier.

if you're not using tape, you can try shooting with both eyes, but closing your left before you shoot. i didn't like this as i tended to close my left eye too hard and just didn't like the feel of it. if you can get used to closing your eye a bit more gently, it could work...i think i read about others doing that in forums.

another option would be a sight occluder like the easyhit or meadow industries sight blinder. the easyhit is a fiber optic in a tunnel, so if you don't like fiber optics, you can try the sight blinder. meadow industries also has a fiber optic, but it seems like the fiber optic and tunnel are separate pieces, while the easyhit is one. i think the easyhit and sight blinder are ~$20.

another option would be to shoot with both eyes, no tape, but try and get used to which "bead/barrel" is the real one (if you're right handed, it's the left i believe) and try to ignore the other one. some people have tried that and gotten used to it, but i haven't personally.

the only thing that took a little getting used to going from 1 to 2 eyes was that the bead/barrel faded in and out of view with 2 eyes. with one eye, the barrel is very opaque, but with 2, it's kind of transparent, because your other eye isn't seeing the barrel in that spot. that was the main reason i still used the tape when i got it. i think it took me a month or 2 to get used to it, shooting once a week.

good luck

15. Kickstart173

Kickstart173 Well-Known Member

I have to ask, why on the inside?

16. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Member

Many great responses and thank you for each of them. The good lord gave me a left side to help me look balanced, he certainly had no intention on me using it in any type of competition, so switching side will not work in my case. I do however plan trying the chap-stick trick and see where that goes and if that fails I guess it is back to one-eyed shooting...again!! I seriously thank everyone for your well thought out comments.

17. coorsman

coorsman Member

You can try a lot of dots, translucent tape etc. I know I tried it all.

My only success has been closing the off eye.

I'm right eye and shoot lefty.

Good luck

ganger thanked this.
  18. 2600jamest

2600jamest TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's why THE MAN provided the human race with the ability to make sight blinders.

19. coorsman

coorsman Member

They don't work for me. I tried one and still cross fire.

Barrel is bent when looking above the rib with both eye's open.

20. Thinblue22

Thinblue22 Member

I tried the dots, chapstick, fogging a lens and tape. I could not shoot with any of the mentioned products. I continued to shoot with both eyes and realized the only time it was an issue for me, was ensuring the beads were in line. I "developed" my own solution by bending the brim of my baseball style shooting hat to block my left eye at hold point. I keep both eyes open and have been able to adapt and become a decent shooter using this method. Good luck and break em' all.