Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New venture Duck Hunting in NC over salt water,

Keeping in mind you have to strip clean them due to the salt spray & mist. I'm thinking maybe a double or O/U but you have to always break them over the blind front ect. Looking for a better mouse trap.

·
Registered
282 Posts
As Mdl No 12 suggested an inexpensive pump, with synthetic stock & forend, would make sense. Disassemble it and thoroughly wash it with hot soapy water when your done for the day to remove all of the salt. Make sure it's dry and wipe it down with an gun oil impregnated cloth. It should last a long time.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
The Mossberg 835 3.5" pumps are designed for harsh environments.

Unlike the Remington 870/1100/1187, the internal shell latch can be removed easily. This allows flushing salt water out. The Remington latches are staked in place.

Unlike the Mossberg 500, the 835 mag tube is a copy of the milspec 590 tube. This was designed so soldiers could thoroughly clean out the inside of the mag tube.

The Mossberg receiver is aluminium, so it resists corrosion better.

Though available on guns from other makers, the Mossberg can also be had in a camo dipped version, providing extra protection for the metal.

I don't have a 835, but I do have a 590, so I'm familiar with the above features.

I've posted a link to the 835 waterfowl page. While the default gun is blued with birch or beech stocks, there are synthetic versions available via the pull down menu.

For a well made shotgun the price is quite affordable.

You may not need 3.5" shells, but the option is there with the 835.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Another vote for the 835. I hunted with one years ago, silky smooth action, backbored, great choke system.

Tough gun, if I were still into pumps, I would still have one.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
As a youngster I carried an A5 Browning until it needed detailed cleaning. It had to go to a gunsmith that recommended detailed cleaning every year. I then bought an 1100 Remington that I could knock out two pins and get to everything. When steel shot became the law of the land I bought an 870. Soon after that with disappointing experience with early steel shot loads I gave up duck hunting.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I used a Benelli Nova for years on the left coast. It held up well in the salt environment. Very easy to break down to clean. Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
i use a stoger 2000 and just spray it down with rem oil after every use and once a month or so take it all apart
extremely easy to break down just unscrew the cap and knock out the one pin for the trigger
Im a fan of cheap guns in the duck marsh just this weekend my buddy was carrying my gun and dropped it in the mud its going to happen
i would rather use an 870 but im no good with a pump

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Mossberg 500, I have killed hundreds of Eider and Scoter sea ducks.

Heck I have on occasion had to use the Mossberg as a canoe paddle. John

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you want a good duck gun, you should have the Parker DHE #3 frame, 30" raised rib barrels, choked F&M, single trigger, ejector gun that is in my safe and is looking for a new owner. The great thing about this gun is, even when you miss you'll look good.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I hunt in these areas all along the east coast. I usually hunt from layout boats. Hands down, the best shotgun for this is a Beretta Extrema. While its nice to hunt with an o/u or classic double, the shells used for these birds are extreme in the demands that they put on a firearm. Best to have a gun that is corosion resistant and equipped with choke tubes that handle modern waterfowl loads.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You might think about a Remington 887 very little metal exposed to rust. I have one to hunt the Gulf Coast bring it home and stand it up on the fence and hose it down.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Texas Yankee, I haven't had 'hands on' for an 887 yet. Is it a plastic clad 870 or a new design?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is clad with metal inside of the chamber and barrel and uses Remchokes. The only thing I had to get use to not short shucking the action like my Wingmaster and Express it has to go all the way back. I love the gun and it gets better every timg I use it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hunt with a Benelli SBE 2 and have never had any issues. It is the easiest autoloader to break down and re-assemble that I have ever had. Very few parts and a thorough cleaning is not very hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts