Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some brass to my reloading guy to have him do my reloading and he said that I should not be in a hurry. He says there is a shortage on rifle primers and he is not having much luck getting any.

Are you guys experiencing the same?

I do not reload and not going to start. Used to load shotshell, but never anything else.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I am having the same issue. I am not sure that rifle cartridge reloading is a worthwhile endeavor. My grandson gave me several thousand 223 cases and now I need to reload them for him.
Tumble the brass, size the brass, trim the brass, re-tumble the brass, load the cartridges. I know I forgot some steps but it is late. Piece of cake!

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having the same issue. I am not sure that rifle cartridge reloading is a worthwhile endeavor. My grandson gave me several thousand 223 cases and now I need to reload them for him.
Tumble the brass, size the brass, trim the brass, re-tumble the brass, load the cartridges. I know I forgot some steps but it is late. Piece of cake!
Pretty much my sentiment along with not enough time. But my guy likes doing it and he is exceptional at it. Not high volume, just hunting/target type loads. Not high volume like your grandson.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If you shot long range comp with a rifle you could never compete unless you reloaded. Powder Valley has large & small rifle primers available.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Boy I hope rifle primers are readily available - I need some Remington Bench Rest primers ! I only have 60 left...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Small rifle and pistol are going first. I see plenty of Large, but all are over priced around here.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
We went through this 8-10 years ago. I looked all over for primers and none to be found. I was delivering to a hole in the wall gun shop 1 day and asked the owner if he had any large rifle primers and he did. I bought 2000 of them!!! I only load for myself and 1 friend, just hunting loads so I am still using these. Glad I did when I did.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have been reloading since about 2 or 3 weeks after the lockdown started out of boredom. I have all my 12 ga. hulls loaded, I have loaded 100's of rifle and handgun rounds. Still have lots of powder, primers and bullets left.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There have been shortages of certain things at the usual places, but I haven't had an issue. I just bought 1000 CCI Bench Rest LR primers. I have a couple thousand Magnum and about 3K regular LR primers on hand, so haven't really looked for them. Popular powders have been more of a problem than anything. Locally all the usual suspects seem to fly out the door as soon as they get them in.

Good luck.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've got plenty on hand for now. I checked with the gun store I buy my small benchrest primers from and he is well stocked at this time.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Primers are bit tight, but they are available for rifle - esp large rifle. Powder is the real issue. After the last shortage I made sure I was prepared to weather the next one, so I am in good shape.

Regarding the cost - I am convinced I save $$ (excluding the cost of the equipment - which is almost all multi-purposed across other calibers, except the dies), and I tailor the round to each gun.

As an example, 45-70 costs about $1.50 a round.. I can load a better cartridge specific to each of my guns for less than half that cost. I have a load for my Browning 45-70 that I can shoot cloverleaves with at 200 yards. I have not been able to find that with any factory load I have tried.

Similarly, 300 WIN Mag runs about $2 per round, I can load a better round for under a $1 per round.

I probably shoot close to 1,000 rounds of 308 WIN a year. That runs $1 to $1.40 per round, I load at less than half that cost, and I find that my Browning likes a different load than my Savage when looking at accuracy.

Pistol ammo is almost a necessity to reload now, especially the common stuff (9MM) and the larger calibers, just to have enough to shoot.

Then if you cast your own bullets, that takes you down a whole other path - which is fun and addicting itself.

So, really depends upon how much rifle/pistol you shoot, and how much accuracy you are trying to squeeze out of the gun.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here small pistol hard to get and some rifle powder like varget and h 4350 . But thats why u stock up . Casting very addictive but i can load 9mm and 45 acp very cheap i also powder coat my cast bullets reason it wont lead up the barrel

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Here small pistol hard to get and some rifle powder like varget and h 4350 . But thats why u stock up . Casting very addictive but i can load 9mm and 45 acp very cheap i also powder coat my cast bullets reason it wont lead up the barrel
When I rebarrel I get a barrel life supply of H4350 in 1 lot number. That’s approx 27 lb of powder and I buy 2 cases of 16 lb per case. Costs around $2,800 in components per barrel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts