Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for "A" and above shooters.
What height rib do you prefer on your singles, handicap and doubles gun?
Hight-Example-K80 Trap Special Type
Medium-Example- K80 Trap, Beretta DX
Low- Example-Beretta 690, 692

thanx
mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I shoot a Ljutic Monogun and it is a Standard (low) rib version for both 16's and Handicap. The gun shoots about 60/40 for 5'-6' high at 40 yards.

·
Registered
976 Posts
asuda01,
I thought the MX2000 was a low rib gun. Same gun as an MX8 but without the gold lettering.
Did you mean the MX2000RS?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I was a AAA/27 shooter and always shot best with a lower rib. My consistently best scores were shot with a Krieghoff Model 32 Vandalia Rib combo but I now use a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon II unsingle combo primarily because it will be my son's some day and he already has a top single combo.

A lot of people cannot shoot as consistently well with a higher rib and I'm one of them. On overcast days, it is easier for our brain to align the larger muzzle with the target instead of the bead and with a higher rib, that leads to shooting over targets. With a lower rib, the "aiming" error is much less and targets will still break.

My POI tends to be very high - in fact, when I shoot at a patterning board, the lowest pellets are about five inches above the aiming point yet I can accidentally cover a target with the bead and still break it so there obviously is something I do differently when shooting at moving targets with a moving gun.

Ed

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Seems like the high rib guns are not as popular as they used to be. I see more mid ribs now, guess it's a matter of preference. High rib didn't work well for me.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Rib height doesn't necessarily impact POI. I've shot flat rib guns (you just sort of move everything to the target), mid rib guns (KX-5) where you move less to the target and let the target move more, then a high rib (k-80 T/S) where you move very little. It just depends on your shooting style!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rib height doesn't necessarily impact POI. I've shot flat rib guns (you just sort of move everything to the target), mid rib guns (KX-5) where you move less to the target and let the target move more, then a high rib (k-80 T/S) where you move very little. It just depends on your shooting style!
My question is what do "you" use?

For me, My K32 unsingle low rib, Browning 725 trap, mid rib
The reason for the thread is I would like to know how many of the better shooters in comparison use a "high rib" like the K80 trap special.

The really "great" shooters I have talked to seem to use "lower" ribs (in my pond any way)

thanx
mike

1 - 20 of 55 Posts